WTF.. a 70% PDF success rate

Started by SA, October 30, 2008, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SA

Nested cad data linked to artpro file. We can do 10 exports in a row without changing any of the export settings and of those 10 stepped up PDFs three were missing the varnish, die drawing and even parts of the artwork (in no particular order). The weird thing is that the PDF had the spot colour listed under the separations when viewed in acrobat. It seems to be a random thing that happens to 1 out of 20 jobs that we step through artpro/powestepper.

I guess we lucky that what it decides to leave off is seriously noticeable, will be more concerned once it starts leaving out smaller things though.

Does anybody know if this is a new feature in Version.9? Never worked on any earlier versions so am wondering if they are as good at making PDFs as V.9.
Riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick. Fun to do but just not in front of your friends.

G_Town

What are you dropping into powerstepper (file type) and if I understand correctly you are then exporting a pdf of the imposition is that correct?

SA

Sorry for the late reply... work has been hectic.

I think we have our problem sorted. If we do a Save as then close the file and then reopen the file it works and we cant get it to recreate the problem we were having. :huh:

Basically we are linking our cad data to our 1 up Artpro files. We would then Export a PDF out of Artpro as apposed to printing. Do you think this was causing problems? According to our trainer from belgium exporting is the way to go, so it will be interesting to hear if this is the way other people are creating PDFs out of Artpro.
Riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick. Fun to do but just not in front of your friends.

G_Town

Quote from: SA on November 03, 2008, 05:03:17 AMSorry for the late reply... work has been hectic.

I think we have our problem sorted. If we do a Save as then close the file and then reopen the file it works and we cant get it to recreate the problem we were having. :huh:

Basically we are linking our cad data to our 1 up Artpro files. We would then Export a PDF out of Artpro as apposed to printing. Do you think this was causing problems? According to our trainer from belgium exporting is the way to go, so it will be interesting to hear if this is the way other people are creating PDFs out of Artpro.

Hmm I do export from time to time for sending files out etc.. but as practice I print everything to our rip done it this way to a Harly, brisque and now nexus with no issues. Is there a reason why you can't print to your rip? and are you talking the impo or just for the one ups?

SA

I am talking about the one ups & imposed files. We have had to create hot folders within Trueflow which we drop our stepped up PDFs in to get ripped. Trueflow dont seem to like artpro at all so this is how we have gotten it to work so far. The shit thing is that we have had to setup different hot folders for different plate sizes and even more for when we need film played out, so we are ending up with quite a few hot folders. We have even had to forgo the powerlock feature (which our bossman was not happy about) as Trueflow would not accept the custom screening coming from artpro. At the end of the day we have got it working in a way that suits us with the software we have.

There are a few more things that I know there must be an easier way of doing that we are trying to figure out, ie. the adding of custom marks to the imposed sheet/plate... G_town - you have already been more of a help in getting us stepping within artpro than the trainer from belgium so I will give you a break for now before you tell me to F#$% off for good... I feel bad now... so dont you have any artpro questions?

G_Town

Quote from: SA on November 06, 2008, 08:46:26 AMI am talking about the one ups & imposed files. We have had to create hot folders within Trueflow which we drop our stepped up PDFs in to get ripped. Trueflow dont seem to like artpro at all so this is how we have gotten it to work so far. The shit thing is that we have had to setup different hot folders for different plate sizes and even more for when we need film played out, so we are ending up with quite a few hot folders. We have even had to forgo the powerlock feature (which our bossman was not happy about) as Trueflow would not accept the custom screening coming from artpro. At the end of the day we have got it working in a way that suits us with the software we have.

There are a few more things that I know there must be an easier way of doing that we are trying to figure out, ie. the adding of custom marks to the imposed sheet/plate... G_town - you have already been more of a help in getting us stepping within artpro than the trainer from belgium so I will give you a break for now before you tell me to F#$% off for good... I feel bad now... so dont you have any artpro questions?

Don't feel bad at all mate glad to help I'm getting help envy from the likes of Joe Jezza DCS E PB and the rest of the unwashed masses so I'm glad to help. I am freaking swamped right now so I'm going to be out for a bit but on the custom marks you can create wahtever kind of marks you want in artpro ie color bars slugs pretty much whatever and just check in the print dialog box/marks what file you want to apply along with other default options there it works pretty cool, also if you are reusing a layout you can create "hottext" which changes ttype to what ever you rename the layout to for example if you pick up a layout and save it with a new name the text on the form shows the change can do the same with colors used  etc..

Glad you are making progress.

Hope to be back in soon.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I weep with envy. I am actually learning something from you useful, not trivial, and it makes a surrogate, younger father very, very proud. (Stands at attention holding mug in the air.) "This is for my boy, Tone-Loc, Tony the Tigger, El Tonio de Chupacadrè! Let's all raise out hands... for my boy..." (Curls up in fetal position drunk,weeping and vomiting.)
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 06, 2008, 09:14:48 PMI weep with envy. I am actually learning something from you useful, not trivial, and it makes a surrogate, younger father very, very proud. (Stands at attention holding mug in the air.) "This is for my boy, Tone-Loc, Tony the Tigger, El Tonio de Chupacadrè! Let's all raise out hands... for my boy..." (Curls up in fetal position drunk,weeping and vomiting.)

STFU and get back to work.

Love :kiss:

SA

QuoteI weep with envy. I am actually learning something from you useful, not trivial, and it makes a surrogate, younger father very, very proud. (Stands at attention holding mug in the air.) "This is for my boy, Tone-Loc, Tony the Tigger, El Tonio de Chupacadrè! Let's all raise out hands... for my boy..." (Curls up in fetal position drunk,weeping and vomiting.)

Im feeling a little embarrassed for you  :tongue:

G_Town

Quote from: SA on November 07, 2008, 04:12:40 AM
QuoteI weep with envy. I am actually learning something from you useful, not trivial, and it makes a surrogate, younger father very, very proud. (Stands at attention holding mug in the air.) "This is for my boy, Tone-Loc, Tony the Tigger, El Tonio de Chupacadrè! Let's all raise out hands... for my boy..." (Curls up in fetal position drunk,weeping and vomiting.)

Im feeling a little embarrassed for you  :tongue:

Don't he's like this a lot.