News:

Main Menu

Nexus 9.0.1

Started by Joe, December 03, 2008, 02:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I got the email that this has been released. I don't see at the DL center though. Can anyone else see it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

I'm still on 8.4 whats the major diff between the 2 native support for intel?

Joe

Quote from: G_Town on December 03, 2008, 08:29:48 PMI'm still on 8.4 whats the major diff between the 2 native support for intel?

What's new?

The following is a list of the new features or modified modules and activities that are available:

* New Nexus software installer
     The Windows Installer (MSI) has been replaced by an InstallShield Wizard.

* Esko screening support in NexusRIP and PDF RIP
     The Nexus legacy RIP and PDF RIP both support screening with Esko screening technologies. This includes support for the standard screens plus Groovy, Samba and Perfect Highlight screening. Object based screening is also supported in the PDF RIP but not in the legacy RIP. For Nexus 9 we do not support Dynacell screens or seamless screening which uses Dynacell technology.

* New or improved activities in the PDF Processor
     Distiller: The Distiller activity allows you to convert Postscript files to PDF files using Acrobat Distiller.
     Join Pages: The Join Pages activity combines individual PDF files into one multipage PDF file, either based on input files (i.e. PDF files connected to the Join Pages activity) or either using a Runlist.
     Separate PDF: The new activity allows you to generate a multipage separated PDF file from a composite PDF file.
     Generate and Resolve OPI: The Generate OPI activity will create a low-resolution PDF of the complete page. The Resolve OPI activity allows changing the referenced external document links. The workflow is comparable to the EPS link workflows in the legacy RIP.
     Prepress: The Prepress activity has been extended with downsampling, recompressing and image cropping options.
     RunList Editor: The RunList Editor allows you to create a list of individual files or pages that need to be (re)combined. The Join Pages activity can use the list built in the RunList Editor.

* New or improved activities in NexusProcessor
     Normalized PDF import and export: Normalized PDF files can be imported into Nexus just like any other PDF.
     Spread: The new activity allows you to automatically spread or choke objects.
     ArtLink with extended text control: See ArtPro 9.0.
     Import Marks: There are additional options to merge layers.
     Selector: The Selector activity can now select layers.
     Fit Borders: The Fit Borders activity allows you to define the direction to fit the borders.

* NexusRIP
     Agfa FTP: The activity has additional options for Front and Back support.
     CIP3: The CIP3 activity can now produce an ink coverage report as a text file.
     SpotOn: Spot On Tuning is a consultancy service offered by EskoArtwork for improving customers' screening, mostly for Flexo. The process makes use of ScreenManager to make TIFFs with particular screening technologies for the customer to try out.

* Nexus PDF RIP
     Performance improvements for step and repeat files from ArtPro: This feature was originally intended for Nexus 8.6 but was delayed until Nexus 9. There are no user options, the RIP decides for itself whether it can apply the optimisation.
     Support for Adobe CMM: In order to have Adobe compatible color conversions that are equal for Mac and Windows, the Adobe CMM can be used by the PDF RIP to process PDF files. It also allows you to output Adobe compatible color conversions using black point compensation.
     PressLink: Presslink is a new PDF RIP activity for making CIP3 (.ppf) files.

* Communication
     WebCenter Output and Approval: These two activities let Nexus 9 connect to EskoArtwork's WebCenter.
     Decision: The Decision activity allows you to hold the job being processed and to route it from Shuttle in the continued process.

* NeXML
     NeXML supports XPath expressions to link up with MIS systems and JDF. It also supports screening angle and separation control through Shuttle.

* Shuttle
     Shuttle allows you to submit and monitor files being processed in Nexus workflows. A new Shuttle application or plugin with an updated user interface improves the connectivity and user interaction.

* Nexus user interface
     The NexusManager user interface has been improved for a better user interaction.

PCC Screening & Esko Screening DVD

Nexus provides you with a wide variety of available screening technologies, ensuring that the RIP can not only be used in the traditional commercial offset environment, but also in the more demanding packaging and label markets.

The Nexus 9 PDF and Legacy RIP both support screening with Esko screening technologies. This includes support for the standard screens plus Groovy, Samba and Perfect Highlights screens. More information is available in the Nexus 9 manual.

Nexus 9 comes with 2 DVDs that contain PCC screening and Esko screening Customers that would like to use Esko screening in Nexus 9, should install the screening using the DVDs. Other customers can continue to use the PCC screening DVDs that were provided with Nexus 8.5 or 8.6.

Esko screens are licensed. Just because they are installed and show up in the NexusManager User Interface, does not mean that they can be used. If the user does not have the license for that specific screening technology, there will be a license error in the RIP.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your local support channel.
Librarian 2.0

Librarian 2.0, formerly known as "Settings Configurator" is distributed through the installer of NexusManager 9. A separate manual is available in Nexus 9 section of the Download Center.
RunList Editor 3.0

RunList Editor 3.0 is distributed through the installer of NexusManager 9. More information is available in the Nexus 9 manual.
Shuttle 3.0 and plug-ins

Shuttle 3.0 is a small stand-alone application that enables you to monitor and submit files to Nexus workflows.

The standalone version for Mac OSX and the plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator CS2, CS3 and CS4 are distributed through the installer of NexusManager 9.

Shuttle 3.0 standalone for Windows can be downloaded from the general Download Center.

A separate manual is available in the Nexus 9 section of the Download Center.
SymphonyCalibrator 1.0

SymphonyCalibrator 1.0 has been extended with support for Esko screening. The application is distributed through the installer of Nexus 9.

System requirements for Nexus 9.0.x
- There are two supported platforms:
• Macintosh:
- Dedicated Mac to run Nexus
    - Mac with dual PowerPC G5 or Dual Core Intel processors,
- Operating system: Mac OS X Server or Client (10.4.x, 10.5.x)
        memory: 8 Gb (to run smoothly NexusRIP, PDF RIP and NexusProcessor         simultanous)
    - Harddisk space required for Nexus: 2 Gb + 150 Gb for production (15000 rpm +) Formatting type for install partition: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    - 1 available USB port
    - CD/DVD-ROM drive
- Gigabit Network card

• PC:
- Dedicated computer to run Nexus
    - Processor: Dual 3.4 GHz or higher, Windows 2003 Server EE or SE 32-bit, incl. 10 clients.
    - Operating system: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition (SP4) or Enterprise Edition (SP1 and R2 and SP2) 32-bit incl. 10  client licenses. (Windows 2008 is not supported)      - Memory: 8 Gb (to run smoothly NexusRIP, PDF RIP and NexusProcessor simultanous)
    - Harddisk space required for Nexus: 2 Gb + 150 Gb for production
    Formatting type for install partition: NTFS
    - 1 available USB port or parallel port
    - CD/DVD-ROM
- Gigabit Network card

System requirements for Nexus Manager, NexusEdit, InSight, SymphonyCalibrator
- Mac with PowerPC G4 or G5 or Intel processor
- Operating system: Mac OS X (10.4.x, 10.5.x)
- Memory: 2 Gb
- 1 available USB-port

G_Town

I'm thinking I need to go back for remedial training since a lot of this stuff is new to me.

Joe

ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD TRIP!!!!

G_Town

Eh, more like this :tongue:

T

This is posted on Print Planet, also.

I'm getting "Vector::Reserve" and "Vector::_M_range_insert" errors when I try to rasterise separations using TotalRIP. It seems to happen only with ArtPro imposed PDFs. And it crashes my Control software.

Anyone else?
Any clues?

EmptyWords

Glad I checked the forums before installing v9, I was about to install that and also the new Odystar, but since T is having problems w/ ArtPro to TotalRIP I now am thinking I will wait, we have 3 workflows using ArtPro to TotalRIP w/ the rasterise seps module.

T, any feedback from the other forum or support on the issue???

EW
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

T

Not that I know of. I have a personal build from Long that I'm trying today. From what support is saying, it's an isolated issue with my system. I'd be interested to see if you get any issues. Try it on one?

ArtPro 9, 1-up PDFs, cf2 imposed to exported PDF, then to Nexus 9. Thats when I get problems...

T

EmptyWords

T, are you running ArtPro/PowerLayout rev1 or rev2, also anything special about the 1-up pdf??? I want to get a very similar setup to test after I run one of our standard jobs. I will try to do this soon, maybe during my lunch.

EW
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

T

We use the Nesting feature. I've never tried PowerLayout.

EmptyWords

Got a chance to run a few older jobs through the rip just now, I didn't get any errors like you had, but did notice a slight speed decline in two of our modules.

EmptyWords

Just finished a few more tests and didn't have the error. What is your Nexus running on PC or Mac??

T

EmptyWords

Same here with the Mac Quad core. It's an Xserve w/ 4gb ram running OSX Server 10.4.9. Here is a snapshot of one of the workflows I ran the tests on. Maybe something more specific in the WF you have vs mine.