How do you charge for poster production?

Started by LoganBlade, September 12, 2007, 08:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganBlade

DO you break it down to ml of ink paper per cm?
I want to get a better handle of what I am charging for inhouse product. my goal is cost with maybe 5% mark up to cover those jobs poorly priced. Do you think this is  a good way?
"dyslexics have more fnu"

Chilbear

If the charges are inside only then how about selecting a period of time (3 months) and add all costs and divide by the amount of paper bought? Will it be close - maybe but it has a basis that can be tweaked.

prepressDog

Sparky

I've heard so many theories on pricing, anything. Some owners will figure their amortized payments on the equipment, the labor cost (wages) to the operator, plus paper cost, and electricity bills etc., etc. And then some who just look at it and say "X$" for 1,00 run with out even thinking. And there are those who use estimating software to calculate the price of everything from a 250 run 1/color business card to a 68pg,  2/2 color newsletter, folded and mailed.

Bottom line is that you need to consider the equipment you're running it on and the needs of your company. Are you a Ma and Pa shop (no offense intended) or a big 100+ employee printer with 401K and health benefits to worry about? Lot's of variables to consider.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

LoganBlade

Current project was about 65 banners roughly 24" x 106" My goal is to charge cost.
I took banner material and determined cost per liniear inch from machine reading of cm
Track ink usage in ml
and cost of gromets

Worked out more than previous selling price but more acurate. I need to factor in the man hours for doing gromet punching and setting but that is what i did now

"dyslexics have more fnu"