Holding shift key with brush/eraser - NOT WORKING!

Started by gnubler, December 10, 2007, 01:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

When I'm using a brush or eraser in PS, I often will hold the Shift key down as I'm brushing/erasing to generate a straight line from one click point to the next. Suddenly, it's just not working anymore. Why? Can anyone help?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

what version of PS?
are you using a mouse or a pen (Wacom tablet)?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

PS CS1, Win-doze. Using a Kensington wireless mouse (same mouse I've been using for months without issues).
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Did you try shutting down the PC and then restarting? (Not a re-start from windows but actually powering it off and waiting 10 seconds and then turning it back on. A PC doesn't flush all the bad stuff with just a re-start) Works wonders sometimes for all kinds of strange issues.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

I had something like this happen in CS2 on a mac, I was trying to adjust an adjustment layer and after making my selection the option delete or Apple/command delete would not fill.

Thought I was losing it until I tried it on another mac and it work fine, rebooted, threw salt over my shoulder and nothing worked finally deleted the PS prefs and it worked fine after that.

gnubler

This started about a week ago, and I shut my PC down nightly. I'll try trashing the prefs...BTW, where will I find the prefs file on XP? (I'm a Macaroo)

EDIT: This is happening when I'm using the Brush tool only, either for painting or erasing. When I use the block eraser or the pencil tool, holding down shift from click-point to click-point DOES paint or erase a straight line. Weird!

jezza

I'm a Macaroo too! Not sure where prefs are stored on a windows box, but check your PS 'Settings' I think that's what they're called. Change something, then change it back after a bit of usage. Best I can think of right now...
one sick prepress mofo

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on December 10, 2007, 03:19:29 PMThis started about a week ago, and I shut my PC down nightly. I'll try trashing the prefs...BTW, where will I find the prefs file on XP? (I'm a Macaroo)

EDIT: This is happening when I'm using the Brush tool only, either for painting or erasing. When I use the block eraser or the pencil tool, holding down shift from click-point to click-point DOES paint or erase a straight line. Weird!

Yea every thing else worked fine thats why I thought the problem was me.

Eek another Macaroo to, dunno where in it's murkey depths where you might find the prefs. Sorry

gnubler

Looks like someone else had/has the exact same issue: Shift plus brush does not draw line

But no real solution other than a stroked path workaround...

LAST EDIT: Looks like this is only happening with SOME brushes. I'm going through and trying different brush sets - some draw the line, some don't (I only load one set at a time, not append). I've added a handful a new brush sets in the past few weeks - maybe one of them isn't playing nice with PS?

Joe

Windows preferences are stored in the Windows registry. Start | Run | type in regedit32.exe. Good luck finding them for a particular app. You'll need it. Funny how Windows used to use ".inf" files for preferences and then some genius at Microsoft decided it would be better off putting them in a cryptic database than having simple text files to store them in.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I reset my brushes to the default PS set, and the click/shift thing is working now. For whatever reason, some of the brush sets I had installed were causing some mischief.

Any thoughts on that? Isn't a PS brush just a grayscale graphic saved as an .abr file?

David

did you make these brushes yourself or did you download them?

(I was wondering if the brushes you are using might work on a Mac and not on a PC)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I didn't make any of my brushes - they're just sets I find here and there on design sites around the Intertube, most of them from Deviant Art.

This morning I did read something about some brushes not working in different versions of PS. I'm running CS1, so maybe that's it.