InBooklet & crossovers

Started by agent_orange, September 16, 2007, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent_orange

Not that any of us need another reason to dislike the PP/PPF merger but I posted this question the other day and still no responses. I miss the informal vibe and community at PPF....

Anyways, here's the post. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it:

I'm having trouble creating the spreads for a 16 page booklet using InBooklet (CS2). Every time I try to create the spreads, I get items from one page on another. Everything's jumbled. I never have problems with InBooklet but I can't recall the last time I had a booklet with crossovers. What am I doing wrong?

Joe

I'm assuming since it's only 16 pages that it is a saddle stitch book and it sounds as if it's set up as a perfect bound book. A saddle stitch book should have no space between the pages while a perfect bound usually has .25 inch between them for grind off (.125 inch for each page). A perfect bound will show what you describe but doesn't matter since the .125 inch from each page eventually gets ground off in the bindery.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

I bet you have elements crossing over to the next page before you create your printer spreads? If that's the case that's why things are ending up on the wrong pages. If this is the problem then drag these elements off the the opposite page and then create the printer spreads then bring over those elements. Make sinse?

agent_orange

Sorry, I should have specified the stitching. It is saddle stitch and that's what is selected in InBooklet. Everything looks fine in the preview but when a new doc is created everything goes haywire. It seems like if I have a picture or a text box that crosses over, the whole frame ends up on one spread rather than being split. Should I split the pics and text into two frames that meet at the center? This way when the spreads are created each box goes to it's own page?

jimking

Is your document set up as reader spreads with elements crossing over to the page next to it? Are you then creating printer spreads ("New Document")?

agent_orange

Yes, I received the file set up as reader spreads and I'm trying to make the new doc with printer spreads. What about just exporting to pdf, create new Indesign document, drop each pdf on each page, Inbooklet makes printer spreads? I tried it to see what happens and it seems to solve the problem but it seems kind of low rent...

almaink

I found InBooklet to be a POS. Use an InDesign Applescript and end your worries.
http://scriptbuilders.net/files/impositionscriptscs1.0.html
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Sparky

agent-orange, yes you need to split the crossovers before using InBooklet. What I do is (using the key commands) is copy (cmnd+C) then Paste into Place (shift+option+cmnd+V). That makes an exact copy in the exact same coordinates as the first one, then drag the box of the top image so it stops at the center, or edge of the page and then drag the box of the original (opposite side) also to the edge of the page. You will have 2 completely different images that will appear as one. Also I tend to shy away from using InBooklet when my jobs were 24 pgs or less. I would make every page a new section start then number the page manually to the actual page number it was, so if I was using auto page numbering I could move pages around in the layout and they would always be the page number I made them. Then I would select all the pages in the layout pallet and make them "Keep Spreads Together" in the pull down menu, so I could place 24-1 together then 2-23, and so on.

But then I did this with film negatives in the old days, so this new stuff is hard to get used to. ::)

Jimking, need to put that martini down "Make sinse", no but it does make sense  ;)
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

WharfRat

Make a single page PDF from InDy with bleeds
Use multi page import to create a new InDy document with the placed PDFs
Use InBooklet on the new document
The PDFs are done deals - and nothing will move.
If you need to make changes to the "placement" document
the "imposition" document will link right up

MSD