Can't get Windows Printer to process in XMF

Started by pworden, May 01, 2012, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pworden

We have 2 Windows printer licenses installed. Both print a test page from the server to the printer so are installed correctly at that level. Both are setup in Calibration Manager as Windows printers, one using 8.5 x 11 media, the other "letter" media. This information comes from the driver. In XMF workflow, created workflow items as RIP proofs, and set media as use any media. Also tried setting these up as TIFF export. Both setups result in incompatible media errors. Any suggestions?
Commercial Sheetfed Offset  + Digital; XMF, Trendsetter, XMF Remote, Xerox digital, XMPie, Heidelberg SM74, Epson 9600, HP5500 Spinjet, IQ-Smart, X-Rite CMM.

Ear

hmmm.. incompatible media errors or just warnings? I get warnings for my spinjet media but just ignore them and it runs fine.

Are you trying to print full impositions to a small printer? Maybe oversized bleed or clipping margins messing things up? You can try to export a "stitched PDF" from an impo. Look under PDF layout when you add the export item and make sure you have it set to "clip at clipping margins" instead of plate or sheet. However, if your clipping margins are set at .375 (or anything larger than your sheet), it might give you a media error.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

pworden

Definitely incompatible media error. For now, I'm just trying to print an 8.5 x 11 page to an 8.5 x 11 printer. I set "fit to media" in XMF and also to ignore warning if page exceeded imposition. I'll shrink the clipping margins tomorrow in case the "ignore" isn't working. Thanks!
Commercial Sheetfed Offset  + Digital; XMF, Trendsetter, XMF Remote, Xerox digital, XMPie, Heidelberg SM74, Epson 9600, HP5500 Spinjet, IQ-Smart, X-Rite CMM.

Ear

Weird. You're right, sounds like a conflict between your media parameters from calibration manager and the device its self. Probably just one stupid little hidden setting or button.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

I wonder if using PDF Export might work better than RIP Proof. Maybe not what you're looking for but I feel like I have a little more control over things like that.

pworden

We have a PDF export alternative in place but can't use hot folders on either of the two Windows printers, so have to grab the PDF, open and print. Way too much work for us :-) I'm trying to automate as much as possible.

pworden

Just tested the clipping margins theory - set to zero but still failed with "incompatible media" error. Will study calibration manager today looking for something to change.