Android tablet preference

Started by Joe, November 27, 2012, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

i did similar in the jeep - hardwired in the usb charging cable, and for audio i just have a 3.5mm jack plugged directly into an amp thats bolted down.  no more reciever/deck for crackheads to steal (i dont listen to broadcast radio). its a good setup.

the other day, i was in home depot picking up some new recepticles. saw some 110v duplex receptcles with a 110v plug on the bottom, 2 USB jacks on top.  they were $20 a pop, but im thinking it would be nice to loose the 110v-usb adapters, at least near the nightstand..

t-pat

Quote from: delooch on December 03, 2012, 04:55:18 PMi did similar in the jeep - hardwired in the usb charging cable, and for audio i just have a 3.5mm jack plugged directly into an amp thats bolted down.  no more reciever/deck for crackheads to steal (i dont listen to broadcast radio). its a good setup.

the other day, i was in home depot picking up some new recepticles. saw some 110v duplex receptcles with a 110v plug on the bottom, 2 USB jacks on top.  they were $20 a pop, but im thinking it would be nice to loose the 110v-usb adapters, at least near the nightstand..

hell, I'm all over that. Wonder if they come in black decorator style, could use one of those in the kitchen where I put in a 6 way box. Could replace one of the receptacles with that, with a net gain of 1 usb port (replacing the usb==>110v adapter that's plugged in there now)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 03, 2012, 01:49:10 PMI returned the ASUS tablet. The $57.00 2 year warranty did not cover "Accidental Damage" and I won't have a tablet without that coverage. At TigerDirect you have a buy a new one instead of refurbished to get the "Accidental Damage" coverage. Screw them.

Did someone on here post at one time that Google would be dropping the price of the Nexus 7 to $149.00 some time after Thanksgiving? Right now it is still $199.00 for the 16 gb model. Frankly I would be surprised to see them lower it to $149.00.
That was me. Everything I read said the 32GB would be $199 after Nov. 29 and the Nexus 10 would then be available.

I got my 32GB 7 on Black Friday for $189 at Office Depot with some weird coupon some guy handed me in line. Retail on it was $229 that day, and I've seen it at Sam's for $238.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I think I'm going to either get the Kindle HD Fire or the Nexus 7. The Fire does not include the AC charger though and you have to buy it separately. Google 1 Amazon 0.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I have the Nexus 7 and I use it daily. What kinds of questions can I answer?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 03, 2012, 06:17:41 PMI have the Nexus 7 and I use it daily. What kinds of questions can I answer?

Is the wifi better than the LePan?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 03, 2012, 06:17:41 PMI have the Nexus 7 and I use it daily. What kinds of questions can I answer?

how about the muli-user capability? im curioius how this works on android. do users have to have thier own google account? are apps user-specific?

im dying to tear into the package, but ill be dead if its before xmas.

Farabomb

Quote from: t-pat on December 03, 2012, 04:44:09 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on December 03, 2012, 03:31:11 PMI can mount any of my flash drives with my USB on the go cable, never tried it with a HDD but it should work. It's maddening trying to transfer from Mac to the GS3 so I just load up the flash drive and plug it in, it's just easier that way. The nexus 7 should be the same way.

I meant mount the phone on desktop as USB - but yeah. I just use a file manager for that.

On another note, I got a cable that passes charge and audio from the usb port to a Y cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack and a usb A jack. Hard wired a usb port into my car (charge only) by gutting an older usb car charger and soldering on a usb female cable on one end and power leads on the other, connected to an add-a-circuit in my fuse box (which also powers my radar detector) - so now I can have audio and charging on one cable without taking up my cig lighter. Everything is in the glove box, the audio interface box for my stock stereo, the newly added power usb port, etc.

The audio interface box I have had in my car for years has 3.5mm stereo in, a SD card slot, and USB in, which I used to power my old phone with. The sgs3 tries to connect to the interface box over and over again even with blocking off the 2 data pins on the plug, and would mute the audio every 5 seconds while looping trying to connect to the box. The hard wired usb port doesn't do that, sweet.

edit:
Oh yeah, I made a custom mount for my phone out of a piece of sheet metal that slips in between some dashboard pieces, stuck one of those round suction cup surfaces on to it and stuck my windshield mount on that. Puts the phone right above the radio and doesn't block access to anything in the car. I got the idea from the overpriced ProClip mounts that are made specifically for individual cars.Took about 10 minutes to make, and works great.

The media mount is the most maddening thing about the GS3. All I want is a mass storage option so the PC, Mac and headunit in my car plays nice with it. I know there are options but I switch ROMs constantly and its a pain on some of them to get it to work correctly.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 03, 2012, 06:21:38 PM

Is the wifi better than the LePan?
In a word, absolutely!

You don't have to reconnect each time you turn it on, like you do with the LePan.

Quote from: delooch on December 03, 2012, 06:27:40 PM

how about the muli-user capability? im curioius how this works on android. do users have to have thier own google account? are apps user-specific?

im dying to tear into the package, but ill be dead if its before xmas.

That's a good question. I don't have multiple accounts, so I don't really know. It does seem to multitask in that multiple apps can run simultaneous, and you can easily swap between them. It's kind of neat - you hit the button and a screen pops up with all the running apps in a mini preview, and you just launch the one you want.

I also use it to play pics/movies/music from my NAS drive using a dedicated app (Pogoplug) or Plex.

I do have it managing multiple email inboxes, which is no issue. Usually the wife watches tv until 2am, and she watches shows I don't, so I put in headphones and watch Crackle, Hulu or Netflix before I go to sleep, which is hours before her. Seems like it should be the other way around, but oh well.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

So I ordered a screen protector and case for the Nexus 7 from amazon.com, two different transactions from two "other" sellers in the amazon marketplace (not amazon directly). I ordered them way back on November 23rd and as a Prime member, I get expedited shipping (3-5 days). Friday the 30 comes around, and no items, so I check the status online. One item says it's shipped, but the tracking info doesn't say anything. The other had not yet shipped. I write both an email. The one that shipped promised a Dec. 3 delivery, the other says it will be another 3-5 days before it ships out.

Dec. 3 comes and goes and no item. Nothing on the 4th. Today, I write the guy and (still no tracking info online), and instead of looking into it, or shipping me a new one he just cancels the order with no notification, email, nothing. I write the other guy (since it's been 3-5 days), and no answer.

Here's my advice to amazon private sellers: If you're not prepared for the holiday sales traffic online, maybe amazon.com isn't the place for you to list your products.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

the thing about being a seller on their marketplace is that nobody, I mean nobody gives a shit about feedback. They don't do anything about it, like ebay does, where you pay more fees if you don't maintain good feedback and get those 5 stars all the time.

We sell stuff on Amazon, and problems come up. As a seller, it's pretty hands off. We do Fulfilled by Amazon for some items, and those are great because we don't do anything with them but collect our small commission.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Knock on wood I have yet had an issue with anything I've bought off amazon. Yes a few times I didn't pay attention when it would ship (32g Samsung class 10 metal waterproof micro sd card) took 3-4 MONTHS to ship but even with that stated in on the page it came in under 2 months. I've had things I've preordered ship the day they were expected to be delivered and I got them that day.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I've always had great experiences buying from amazon, even from private sellers. This is the first bad experience.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

my advice - if you have a choice between "Fulfilled by Amazon" or sent by the seller, go with the FBA. They are all eligible for Free Super Saver shipping, and Prime.

Usually returns or exchanges are no problem from Amazon sellers, but the FBA stuff is a no-brainer, send the shit back no questions asked.
vdp donkey