Connecting to a Imac using 10.10.5

Started by Sharp4130, November 09, 2015, 09:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharp4130

I'm a bit new to xmf.  I have XMF running on a (windows server 2008 R2 standard) and it seems to be working good. 
I have a new iMac runnung 10.10.5 I can connect to the server and see the XMF resources folder.
I copied from that folder the Mac_5.5.1.5 (CLIENT).
When I try to open on the iMac. User name, Password, Server, I get a FAILED TO CONNECT TO SERVER massage.
(Failed to connect to server, please check that it is running).

I have tried using the server name, and not the ip address. Same results.

Thanks
Scott

Ear

On the mac, open System Prefs, select Security and turn the software firewall off. This should allow incoming connection from XMF.

Or, you can run with the firewall on, if it will behave. Mine gets weird sometimes and I turn the firewall off. With firewall on, when you click the XMF Client, it should ask for the password AND it will pop up a message asking you to Allow Incoming Connection from XMF. I wait for this message, click Allow, then add the password to log on to the server.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Also, I connect via static IP to my server, using Samba, as opposed to afp.

Samba example = smb://192.168.111.xx
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

I would call XMF, the last update they told me yosemite was still not compatible
They said you could install with some little bugs If you really had to.
Do you have the latest XMF update? can you call for service?

Sharp4130

Thanks.  Firewall is off.  I'm logging on to the server using smb.
The XMF software seems to open up to the connect screen on yosemite fine.

This software worked on a different iMac hooked to this server just fine.  Then is was moved a few states away, same server new iMac and I'm having connection problems. 
Both computers are seeing the network via a d-link switch. The only difference (not sure if it matters) the old server ip address was a 198address and the new ip is a 172address

Joe

Is the new mac also in the 172 address range? If not that will definitely make a difference.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sharp4130

I got it to connect.  The firewall was turned on - on the server.  I turned it off and restarted and now I'm able to connect.

thanks

Scott

Joe

Quote from: Sharp4130 on November 10, 2015, 10:52:37 AMI got it to connect.  The firewall was turned on - on the server.  I turned it off and restarted and now I'm able to connect.

thanks

Scott

The better option would be leave the firewall turned on and to open the port that XMF uses.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sharp4130

Thanks for the suggestion. I will work on changing that.