News:

Main Menu

XMF Problem

Started by Tracy, March 30, 2020, 12:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

So I left early Friday and the pressman tried to make a plate with the imagesetter turned off
I know that alone would not of caused this problem, I'm unsure what he did.

but there was a message that backup failed and call administrator.
so I had to delete the file he was trying to make a plate from (fyi he got his original plate to work) sigh

I'm dead in the water here I can't do anything, can't put a file in, It's like the server doesn't see me.
and trying to manipulate any file from the actual server is a fail
I'm hoping tonight once it does a successful backup it will be ok tomorrow kind of doubtful tho.
anybody seen this or have any suggestions?
If it doesn't work tomorrow, I will have to call Fuji, and my boss has not updated my license so it will be a pretty costly
phone call I think.

Joe

Serves your boss right. :evil:

I can hear the pressman saying "I didn't do anything". >:(

No idea on XMF but good luck.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Yeah! I didn't even ask the pressman what he did, I know he was prolly clicking all over the place

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on March 30, 2020, 12:40:10 PM
Hmmmmm, haven't seen that before & we get jobs fail ALL the time on the old platesetter. I'd just "Retry" the plate process & that resets the job, allows it to backup or be deleted too.

QuoteIf it doesn't work tomorrow, I will have to call Fuji, and my boss has not updated my license so it will be a pretty costly
phone call I think.
We let our license lapse too, most calls are like $250 so it's not exactly Kodak/Heidelberg pricy at least.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on March 30, 2020, 12:40:10 PM
So I left early Friday and the pressman tried to make a plate with the imagesetter turned off
I know that alone would not of caused this problem, I'm unsure what he did.

but there was a message that backup failed and call administrator.
so I had to delete the file he was trying to make a plate from (fyi he got his original plate to work) sigh

I'm dead in the water here I can't do anything, can't put a file in, It's like the server doesn't see me.
and trying to manipulate any file from the actual server is a fail
I'm hoping tonight once it does a successful backup it will be ok tomorrow kind of doubtful tho.
If it doesn't work tomorrow, I will have to call Fuji, and my boss has not updated my license so it will be a pretty costly
phone call I think.

Hmmm, have you restarted XMF Server software? If no luck did you restart the server it's running on? So, quit XMF server software, then restart the server box, then XMF Server, then you Client. Retry the job, or maybe jst dlete it, and bring the PDF back in and do it again, (risky, possibly, but maybe that's what you have to do). I can't think of anything that would not be rectified by that. Unless he did something reeeeally stupid. Not ruled out.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

BTW think of me with XMF as being like that spacecraft they hurled at Jupiter (?Saturn), which gave out increasingly faint messages until its battery/memory no longer worked, Give it 6 months. OTOH, it could be stuff I mutter on my deathbed... 'Bob, have you tried restarting XMF server?'   :rotf:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

Thanks Frailer!
I tried all that, XMF won't take a pdf at all, I think he was clicking away, (the adjectives I have in mine)!!
I'm going to call and ask how much it will cost, either way there is no way around the cost for the call
it must be done.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on March 30, 2020, 04:12:42 PM
Yeah! I didn't even ask the pressman what he did, I know he was prolly clicking all over the place
I'd lock those Permissions down for that User too. I had to disable almost everything on the plating machine's XMF client, morons kept double-clciking jobs to plate them, opening dozens of jobs a day and never closing them. :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

I actually have a password specifically for the Pressman, sigh I didn't use it had my login open
so come to find out my D Drive went out, ordered the part and got someone coming in to replace it
He said it was a coincidence and not the pressman fault, yeah ok

Joe

Make no mistake...it is ALWAYS the pressman's fault.

Savage

Hello.
That error happens when the XMF backup destination isn't available when XMF tries to make the backup. For the error to stop, you have to login to the server, open the "Database backup utility" and you'll have a option to stop the error mensage.
As for whats causing the XMF error in the first place, have you tried restarting everything? Especially network related devices like switches and routers. Usually it's a good starting point.
We have the backups pointed to a NAS and we get that error when, for some reason, the XMF server can't see the NAS. Restarting the NAS and the Server solves it for us.
Good luck

Tracy

Thanks!
Yeah my D Drive burned up and I had a fan go out
replaced the D Drive and fan, I still have the cover open and monitoring temp
but back up and running now.
The people at Proactive are very helpful, the guy taught me a lot about monitoring the server.
and with his advise I will be shutting down every night. and no charge!!

my server is no spring chicken  :laugh:
about 6-7 years old now.

Slappy

Quote from: Tracy on April 03, 2020, 12:53:43 PM
The people at Proactive are very helpful, the guy taught me a lot about monitoring the server.
and with his advise I will be shutting down every night. and no charge!!
Is that really a suggestion they made, and is it mostly because of the age of the server? Ours runs 24/7 although like I said I do a restart every 3-5 days as it seems to clear out the cobwebs.

Joe

Have to agree with Slappy. Servers are built to run.

Tracy

Ok my chip is now running at 85 Celsius, 185 F
Is this normal?