Indesign Book file...Exporting PDF Help..

Started by mwc, February 09, 2011, 10:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwc

Ok,
So I have a 276 page PB catalog to do. (don't normally do projects with that many pages here...)
Supplied in 25-30 documents...
Thought I'd use the Indesign BOOK feature to add all these docs together in the list and export a PDF.
Problem is that when it comes to corrections, I don't want/need to output the entire catalog again to PDF. (the BOOK feature doesn't give you an option....ALL or Nothing AFAIK..)
My thought is that when corrections are made, I'll export that page from the individual document...then replace that page in my 276 PDF with acrobat...then register the PDF again just choosing the page or range I need (just to keep the name correct for FPOs and Impo stuff.)

Any tips for a large page count job in indesign (CS5) and exporting for Rampage? Just beginning this project...so OPEN to any ideas?

Thanks,

DigiCorn

I might be mistaken, but I don't think you have a choice here - it's book file to pdf for Rampage or nothing.

Quote from: mwc on February 09, 2011, 10:35:08 AM(the BOOK feature doesn't give you an option....ALL or Nothing AFAIK..)
My thought is that when corrections are made, I'll export that page from the individual document...then replace that page in my 276 PDF with acrobat...then register the PDF again just choosing the page or range I need (just to keep the name correct for FPOs and Impo stuff.)

Sounds like the only way to do it...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I've never used the Book feature. Did I even know it existed?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Heard about the Book feature but don't really know what it is about. If it was me I would probably end up outputting PDF's from each document and maybe merging them all into one. Depends on how big the PDFs end up being.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Chilbear

I agree with the merging in Acrobat option. It is possible that document settings like hyphenation will be missing/disrupted possibly by merging into the same INDD file. Had that happen once, bastid turned off the hyphenation in one document but it was OK cuz he wuz a desiner. :sarcasm:

Farabomb

I didn't even consider that issue. Like the desiner that gave me natives for a 6 color job and had one of the spots set to 4c in the swatches. Took me a little to notice that one.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Yeah, was wrestling with this myself on a similar sort of job. The sages here pretty much gave the whole merge-in-Indy thing a negative review, though tpatterson does like it and use it. I could see how it would work with a competent dezinger, but the one who supplies this particular job is a moe-ron. Too many document variables, or Unknown Unknowns.  :laugh:
It was about the same stuffaround co-efficient as merging the PDFs later, so I'm looking at doing that now.

Link here, if you want to peruse.            https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=5613.0
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mwc

OK. Update.
After trying to export a 276 HighRes PDF from Indy CS5 (book file)...and getting MANY AirOars...(memory low or just stopped exporting about 3/4 through)...I just gave up and opened each of 30 docs, and exporting ranges of EPS and did a batch file rename so my page #'s were correct in my workflow.
I try make stuff work with this technology....but more often than not I seem to revert to 'older' methods that just work....
PDF is great for smaller jobs, but I'd pick my export EPS with OPI....276 pages exported to thin EPS quickly - (PDF was taking 10-15 minutes before failing)  :puke2:

t-pat

you can export ranges or individual pages thru the book feature. Select the spreads in the book palette.

FWIW indb does not fix bad design, it is merely a fancy container that can in some situations help keep things organized. As I said, I use it for a high school magazine put together by a class of high school students so they do just about every no-no you can imagine. I still have to fix it all. Only difference is that in the end I get a single pdf that gives me nice consecutively numbered sub-pages out of Prinergy. Previously I'd have to go rename all the indesign files and export them individually.

Which leads me strangely enough to another post I made, can't remember where it was, for the PEU5 script, which will export pdfs based on versioned layers and base layers from indy - I used it recently to batch export all my open indy files, which was very cool - I had 20 files open, ran the PEU5 script with the correct settings, and got 20 pdfs - I had to hit "enter" once every time it came to a new document, but other than that it was automated and used my pdf export preset.

With that said, I can see how easy it would be for something to explode using book... I just don't do ANYTHING other than arrange the pages and export to a PDF. You could really screw yourself with the many unexplored features of book, I'd love to be a master of it but just don't have a call for it that often.

It is something that deziners should use more, especially for catalogs and any work where there are multiple people working on different sections... but there's a billion ways for that to go south too. All comes down to how bad does the dezinger want to do it right, rather than get it off their desk and on to staring at shiny things.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait