Line of type drops down after hard return

Started by DCurry, April 07, 2009, 01:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

So, here I am trucking along and trying to wrap my brain around DW, and it's actually going okay. My latest problem is that let's say I draw a div and add some text to it. When I first start typing, the text is aligned at the top of the div. As soon as I start a new paragraph (by using a hard return {that's what she said}), the first line drops down a bit so it is no longer aligned with the top of the div.

As far as I can tell, I don't have any "space before" settings and changing margins and padding to zero doesn't help. It's not the end of the world, just annoying.

Gnubler - any ideas?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Yes. In the CSS do this:

p {padding-top:0; margin-top:0;}

Or, give your first line of text in the div a tag like h3 and put this in the CSS:

h3 {padding-top:0; margin-top:0;}

There are other ways.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

So I guess that would be in the CSS of the text, not of the div? I'm a little scared to mess with the external CSS too much because it is used throughout our site (designed by someone else, recently being maintained/edited by me) and I would hate to break something. Maybe I'll try it and see what happens.

I''m done for the day - perhaps I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Then you can just do an internal style sheet, something like this:

.topline {padding-top:0; margin-top:0;}

and in the code like this:

<p class="topline">First line here</p>

Then you don't have to touch the external CSS.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

That's twice in one week for brownie points, gnub; your reputation's gonna suffer....    :laugh:     Hey, Dan knew where to head, though... :cheesy:

Man, I feel so "old hat" trying to follow threads like that.     :huh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on April 07, 2009, 07:15:31 PMThat's twice in one week for brownie points, gnub; your reputation's gonna suffer.... 

There's been no one to insult lately. Where's Stevieboy? Once Loganblade posts something with his horrendous typing skills I'll be back to normal.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

I'm still not getting it. I am doing something wrong.

gnubler

I just Googled it - my suggestion is "correct". I've used it myself. Are you checking in IE? Don't. Give the first paragraph only a special class with no top padding & top margin.  :death:

DCurry

I do not doubt your correctness in any way. I'm just doing something wrong somewhere. I am previewing in Safari, but it doesn't even look right in DW.

**Just figured it out - I changed the Margin to zero and that did it. I swear I had tried it before to no avail, but who knows what the heck I did at this point.

Thanks!

p.s. - As I was leaving work yesterday, I saw a hawk dive-bomb a squirrel. He sat on it it for several minutes as the squirrel squealed for help, then the hawk flew off with the squirrel dangling from its talons. Glad it wasn't you!

tapdn

where is Supersquirrel when you really need him!!!
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb