Email Form and GoDaddy Host

Started by Slappy, May 05, 2009, 09:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Friend of mine who is getting (back) into some web work is doing a simple site that includes a form with an email directed to his client. They host through GoDaddy, and is being instructed that in order for it to reach the recipient, it has to point to their server and then be re-directed to the clients email. Is that the norm, I would have thought it could point directly to the client's email addy?

I think he's still using GoLive CS2, not sure that makes a difference though.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Godaddy sucks. Just ask Joe.

I just made a site with a simple contact form. I used the script here:

http://css-tricks.com/nice-and-simple-contact-form/

Simple. Just put the recipient's email addy in the PHP file, do a little more tweaking, and it should work.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I agree with gnubler...that is not correct. Take a look at this site as well as gnublers script:

How do I set up a web based email form

And yes I also agree with gnubler that godaddy sucks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Actually, setting up forms is kind of sucky. If you're hand-coding one for a small site you have to worry about spam - it's inevitable. In the simple form I just did I used a CSS trick to trap spambots and send their form submissions into the netherworld. There are other techniques, too. If you have any questions, just ask me.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 10:47:05 AMActually, setting up forms is kind of sucky. If you're hand-coding one for a small site you have to worry about spam - it's inevitable. In the simple form I just did I used a CSS trick to trap spambots and send their form submissions into the netherworld. There are other techniques, too. If you have any questions, just ask me.

Is there anyway to send the spam back to them? That would be sweet justice. :grin:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2009, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 10:47:05 AMActually, setting up forms is kind of sucky. If you're hand-coding one for a small site you have to worry about spam - it's inevitable. In the simple form I just did I used a CSS trick to trap spambots and send their form submissions into the netherworld. There are other techniques, too. If you have any questions, just ask me.

Is there anyway to send the spam back to them? That would be sweet justice. :grin:

Better not. I just got a lucrative offer from Burkina Faso a couple days ago - I think I'm gonna go baitin' and have fun with this one, keep them busy.

Slappy

Cool, thanks guys! I'll mention the Spam thing to him, not sure if he's though of that angle.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.