That's Not Graphic Designing?!

Started by Syphon, July 16, 2017, 09:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Well, there goes anyone out the door!
Third kid we had in last four years to walk out.
Management still tries to hire these kids that want to be web designers and graphic designs that don't know shit about printing.

Kid: What's bleed?
Me: Seriously?!

At least they can't fire my ass if I get up and dance naked on my desk. LOL
As of now, almost 99% of printing is done in our department
I've said we need a "digital press person" not some damn graphic designer.
So I'm guaranteed a paycheck for a little bit longer since I'm alone.
Boss tries to help. The key word is "try."
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

I've been lucky here for 18 years. I've only had two bosses and both know what they are doing. :)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

What alternate universe do you come from?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

Quote from: Syphon on August 11, 2019, 10:05:32 AM
Well, there goes anyone out the door!
Third kid we had in last four years to walk out.
Management still tries to hire these kids that want to be web designers and graphic designs that don't know shit about printing.

Kid: What's bleed?
Me: Seriously?!

At least they can't fire my ass if I get up and dance naked on my desk. LOL
As of now, almost 99% of printing is done in our department
I've said we need a "digital press person" not some damn graphic designer.
So I'm guaranteed a paycheck for a little bit longer since I'm alone.
Boss tries to help. The key word is "try."

this is why i dont ask for help anymore. i get this exact thing. and then they say they tried to help you. its not help to babysit someone else and still print.

Farabomb

I'm running into a similar problem at the car shop with service writers. It seems most of the newer generation don't understand what work is. They "try" but don't do things to completion and don't have the ability to think on their feet. If there are instructions they can follow them most times but if it requires thinking, they fail.

My present one formats his brain nightly. It's like the movie 50 first dates but he's not nearly as cute as Drew Barrymore and I'm getting real tired of babysitting.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Unfortunately, it's not just the younger generation. We had an older guy who was supposed to learn to run a press. Sent him for training at another shop with the same press. Turns out all he wanted to do was empty trash cans and change light bulbs. He couldn't think for beans. When he'd have a problem on the press, he'd tell the manager the press is broken.

He ain't here no more.

Joe

Speaking of Graphic Design...I think I got a designer fired today. Last time their job was printed we got PDF's made from InDesign. Beautiful pages with no issues.

Then they hired a new 'designer'. So this time they were completely done in Photoshop. Every page was just an image and all of the body text of every page was, of course, 4 color black. So I called and gave them the whole speech about how Photoshop is not a page layout app...yadda yadda yadda. The publisher called me and told me not to proceed and he would find another designer. So yeah...pretty sure I got a designer fired today. And I don't even feel bad! :evil:

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on August 15, 2019, 05:31:51 PM
Speaking of Graphic Design...I think I got a designer fired today. Last time their job was printed we got PDF's made from InDesign. Beautiful pages with no issues.

Then they hired a new 'designer'. So this time they were completely done in Photoshop. Every page was just an image and all of the body text of every page was, of course, 4 color black. So I called and gave them the whole speech about how Photoshop is not a page layout app...yadda yadda yadda. The publisher called me and told me not to proceed and he would find another designer. So yeah...pretty sure I got a designer fired today. And I don't even feel bad! :evil:
I shouldnt laugh really, but you have probably saved the world from yet another  :facepalm: deezigner

Slappy

Wrong! Strike one down, 3 more take their place. Like some Sith Lord/Chimera nonsense.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

UPDATE: My apologies. I failed.

The guy thinks he is pretty clever. At one point he sent me a new PDF named "Indesign PDF". And sure enough they were made from InDesign. I opened it and clearly he took his photoshop file that was just an image and then placed it into InDesign. Still was just an image with 4 color black. I told him that it "appeared" that he just took the previous files and placed them into InDesign and made a new PDF and he was shocked, shocked I tell, and said "how did you know that is what I did? I thought I could fool you.

:facepalm:

The publisher found out that he couldn't find a designer to reset all 16 pages correctly in two hours. Shocking huh? :shocked:

I was able to figure out why the black text was 4 color black text. It seems if you color it C-75 M-68 Y-67 K-90 it comes out that way in. Again x 2...shocking. :shocked:

And if you change it to K-100 and then output it again it comes out that way. Again x 3...shocking! :shocked:

Well it was still an image instead of text and the designer promised me he will use InDesign next issue. I'm 100% sure he means he will do the pages in PS again and then place that file in InDesign but that is a battle for another day. :shoots_self:

Possum

I've had so many do that crap. We ask for vector art, an .ai file or .eps. So they save or export their Word document as an EPS and thinks that fixes it.
:banghead:

Joe

I'd rather have a PDF from Word than a PDF from Photoshop.

DigiCorn

Surely you must be joking.

We have a customer that sends Photoshop PDFs on the reg. They NEVER have bleeds. But when we open their PDFs in Photoshop, they are still layered, so we expand the canvas and pull out the layers that need help. It's way better than trying to deal with Microsoft color.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Well not the PDF's I got last night. Basically just an image of the whole page. So yeah...I am not joking. Give me a Word PDF any day. I can beat that sumbitch into submission any day! (with Pitstop)