Plate developer machine cleaning

Started by Teebor9, July 19, 2017, 07:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teebor9

Hi guys!

If this topic is on, sorry, but I couldn't find any like this. Maybe it's because I'm bad at searching and the language barriers.
So if anyone can help even with a link to a the Topic or with some experience I would be glad.

So every time we clean the developer (Kodak T 860) I get to see that the metal parts and some plastics get more and more limescale like layers. I tried to remove it by scrubbing with rust removal (It works on regular limescale) but didn't got it to work. Tried with the developer liquid as well. No luck either.

I don't think it makes a huge difference if it stays, because it doesn't solve in the developer, but by time it could be thick enough to crack off maybe and scratch the plates.

What should I do besides hanging myself?

Thanks for the answers! ;)

Tracy

I don't think the developer section should be getting a buildup
Is it the water section?
If so Try Vinegar

DigiCorn

White vinegar could affect the emulsion because of the acidity, but it will help dissolve calcium build up. There is a "scum remover" additive you can buy from Pitman/Agfa, but I can't remember the name.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Teebor9

Quote from: Tracy on July 19, 2017, 09:35:01 AMI don't think the developer section should be getting a buildup
Is it the water section?
If so Try Vinegar
No, it's not the washer part.
There is normal "water made" lime scale and algae.
It can be removed with normal stuff.

Farabomb

Have the owner put in a reverse osmosis water filtration system and it should take care of the buildup. Also helps with the water in the press.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Teebor9

Quote from: Farabomb on July 19, 2017, 11:11:43 AMHave the owner put in a reverse osmosis water filtration system and it should take care of the buildup. Also helps with the water in the press.
These are the parts.
The photo was made in 2014.
The original color of the heating/cooling pipe and guide grill spacers is covered whit white stuff atm.
The only time these meet with water is when we clean the whole stuff from time to time.
And it's not from the water. Otherwise it would come of with the stuff we use to clean the water parts.

andyfest

Next time you do a full clean, try spraying some CLR on the buildup and rinse out the tank really well. It's about the best stuff for dissolving scale.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Tracy

Were using Distilled water to mix with replenisher, I suppose that's why
I don't get a buildup in my developer.

The water unit tho, I have too clean with Vinegar, didn't think about CLR.
I get scaling in the water unit only.

David

Quote from: Farabomb on July 19, 2017, 11:11:43 AMHave the owner put in a reverse osmosis water filtration system and it should take care of the buildup. Also helps with the water in the press.

We had RO water on the presses so we just tagged on to that and piped it to the platesetter. Worked like a champ.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Quote from: Tracy on July 19, 2017, 01:49:05 PMWere using Distilled water to mix with replenisher, I suppose that's why
I don't get a buildup in my developer.

The water unit tho, I have too clean with Vinegar, didn't think about CLR.
I get scaling in the water unit only.
That's an important point Tracy - the developer replenisher should only be used in conjunction with either RO or distilled water. We run a Fuji processor and that's the spec they call for. Makes sense that using RO water will prevent scale build-up in the dev tank.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Yup, when we had the Fuji PH-PJ's the spec was distilled water only.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.