Need digital camera recommendations for Power PC

Started by Possum, May 02, 2014, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

I need to sell some stuff on E-bay, but don't have a digital camera for pictures. Do you have any recommendations for a cheap digital camera that will work with Power PC or with a card reader? I know I may need a card reader, but only have USB 1.1. 

I'm sort of getting to be a Luddite in my old age (late 50's), so I don't know what will work with what I have. I don't want to trust the college kids at Radio Shack; I'd rather pick the brains of people like you.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Walmart sells the throw away digital ones here. They are USB 2 but they should work with USB 1.1...just a bit slower.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Or, someone on here will have one that they've upgraded past. (I know, I've got 2 perfectly good Fujifilm ones at work that I no longer need). If I was in US I'd just post one to you.
For fleabay, try and get something a little bit capable. Pics are everything on there.
Also the older Fujifilms, for instance, just mount as a volume on the Desktop. Drag' em off into a folder. Delete from SD card in camera, Eject, done.
My X10 make me use iPhoto as offloader; PITA, IMO.
An example of a perfectly good camera, which will give you really great shots. They depreciate rapidly as soon as they're bought. If you're not concerned about pocketing it; this slightly bulkier format has much better optics.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Olympus makes some good, cheap PHD (push here dummy) cameras. My brother bought 4 of the same because he loves them so much. I think the topend was $50 and it came with tons of extra crap. He thinks it takes better pictures than his Nikon D90 but I'm pretty sure I've made it known how delusional he can be.

I have a sony PHD, a Canon G5 and a Canon 400D.... and I use my phone more than all combined. My GF also has a old Olympus that she may part with. I'll ask tonight and see.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Thanks for the info. I don't want to spend more on a camera than I can get for the crap on eBay. One thing I have to sell is my mom's power chair, and I'd like to get pix for it to put on it Craigslist. Too many power chairs just sitting there on eBay, and I'm not shipping that thing.

frailer

Quote from: Possum on May 05, 2014, 01:28:15 PM...and I'm not shipping that thing.

You could offer to drive it, if it wasn't too far. Like in The Straight Story
I apologise if that's in dubious taste.   :embarrassed:  Just had a picture in my mind. You'd need to restrict it to contiguous states though.  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

born2print

At the risk of repeating myself, the Straight Story is an awesome and unique movie  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

frailer

Quote from: born2print on May 05, 2014, 01:55:53 PMAt the risk of repeating myself, the Straight Story is an awesome and unique movie  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

.... isn't it what.     :cool:   Sissy Spacek and Harry Dean...  off to a good start; though they're like the bookends of the movie.   :undecided:  Richard Farnsworth was larger than life, as well.

/we may now return to digital cameras.   :laugh:

Possum

Just for an update, I got a new Fujifilm JX500 from Amazon. It works with Mac OSX 10.4-10.6 and possible more versions, and Windows 7 and XP. It was only $45 or so on sale.

Thanks to your help, I found there are still some new products that work with the old stuff.

frailer

Good choice, and great bang for buck. Can't go wrong with Fujifilm. They make their own sensors, and even the lenses have Fujinon 'trickle-down' in them.