Locked PDF - for what it's worth

Started by Possum, November 12, 2008, 01:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

I get a weird locked PDF sometimes. When I open in in Acrobat (6), the screen goes dark, then nothing but the PDF on a black screen. Have to press Escape to get out of it. This time I pressed Command Escape, and the thing went back to a normal display with a PDF I could do whatever with.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Trick I actually learned here... Open the locked PDF in your OS X ColorSync Utility, found in your /apps/utilities folder. Save as out of Colorsync... whallah! No locked PDF, works everytime... so far.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

stupid locked pdfs...

why why why?
They think they can stop us from messing with them if they lock them?
gez, I can rip one over, unlock it change all kinds of crap, send it back, just to show them it's a waste of time and effort.

but, they think they're making a "bullet proof" file...

whatever.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

Gotta love that word "whatever" David. Saves me from tons of stress in this crazy business. :rolleyes:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Doesn't really sound like a locked PDF. Just one that is set to open in full screen view. Command + L should make it view normal. (Acrobat 9 here though. Other versions may vary)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

I'll try that Command L next time, although I'll bet it's locked also, knowing the source.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Jon Morgan

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 12, 2008, 01:29:27 PMTrick I actually learned here... Open the locked PDF in your OS X ColorSync Utility, found in your /apps/utilities folder. Save as out of Colorsync... whallah! No locked PDF, works everytime... so far.
DigitalCrapShoveler is correct (love that screen name by the way), you can use the OS X ColorSync utility to remove a password from a PDF.  One thing I will mention though is I believe they have closed that hole in the Leopard ColorSync utility...I think.

Joe

Quote from: Jon Morgan on January 02, 2009, 08:39:14 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 12, 2008, 01:29:27 PMTrick I actually learned here... Open the locked PDF in your OS X ColorSync Utility, found in your /apps/utilities folder. Save as out of Colorsync... whallah! No locked PDF, works everytime... so far.
DigitalCrapShoveler is correct (love that screen name by the way), you can use the OS X ColorSync utility to remove a password from a PDF.  One thing I will mention though is I believe they have closed that hole in the Leopard ColorSync utility...I think.

Yes, you would be correct.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on January 02, 2009, 09:42:33 AM
Quote from: Jon Morgan on January 02, 2009, 08:39:14 AM
DigitalCrapShoveler is correct (love that screen name by the way), you can use the OS X ColorSync utility to remove a password from a PDF.  One thing I will mention though is I believe they have closed that hole in the Leopard ColorSync utility...I think.

Yes, you would be correct.

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

wagsgraphx

Thanks for the work around, just used it.

frailer

Quote from: wagsgraphx on August 20, 2009, 11:47:23 AMThanks for the work around, just used it.

"It's all free, folks..."   (Spike Milligan, when he cracked up at the antics of Secombe in Goon Show).    :cheesy:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

StudioMonkey

I learned of a new way around a locked PDF and it's too good to keep to myself. 

I used to use a website that would take your PDF and email you back an unlocked one.  I had lost the link so I googled it and found this instead;

1) Open a new tab in Chrome browser (not sure if it works with other browsers)
2) Drag and drop the locked PDF into the browser window - it uploads and displays the PDF
3) instead of Downloading it again go to Print and select Save as PDF
4) This saves an UNLOCKED version of the PDF to your Desktop (or wherever)

You're welcome.

:cheesy:
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Tracy

can't wait to get a locked pdf to try it! :laugh:

pspdfppdfxhd

Hey, tried it and it works!

Took a password protected pdf and made it available for editing..... this could really come in handy when we get a secure pdf. Trying to get a password for them is sometimes next to impossible.

Thanks!

Joe

It doesn't work if the the security is set to make you supply the password to open the PDF. Chrome just asks you for the password.

If the password is set to be required to 'Print' then 'Print' is disabled in Chrome.

So if it is only password protected to prevent editing it works but...

It does change the document type as shown below which is notorious for not working well with PDF's that contain transparency so I would be careful of this.

Original:

[attach width=400]18786[/attach]

Re-saved from Chrome:

[attach width=400]18788[/attach]