Adobe CC replacements

Started by Farabomb, August 15, 2018, 07:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I'm pretty sure I snagged them when they were posted up. I just have to find them. Wonder if CS2 works with the stylus too...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

If somebody just needs a Photoshop replacement, I've seen good things about Pixelmator. It's Mac only, though.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on August 15, 2018, 01:17:45 PMThe best replacement I have seen for Illustrator and Photoshop is from Affinity (Designer and Photo). Modern UI and works very fast. They are working on their own version of Indesign. Will be a decent package when it is done though I think it will be a very long time before they can even come close to catching up to Indesign. Would love to be proven wrong on that. I am wary of the free graphic programs, we have had many clients come in with stuff they did on their own in those various programs and they can be a nightmare. The Affinity stuff seems to be more common sense with the basics that we are all used to. I would look at them before anything else, for a couple hundred bucks you will have everything with no monthly fees.

I get files like that from people running the latest version of Adobe CC. <<true but not funny>>

I can't get on the Affinity bandwagon until I see a useable page layout app (Affinity Publisher has been promised for like I said...194 years it feels like). And when I do...I expect Adobe to throw a boatload of cash at them and buy them out and kill them off. Because we can't have nice things.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on August 15, 2018, 01:20:18 PMI'm pretty sure I snagged them when they were posted up. I just have to find them. Wonder if CS2 works with the stylus too...
If you don't have them, let me know and I'll send you a link to download from my drive at home. You know how to get ahold of me.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on August 15, 2018, 01:35:02 PM
Quote from: wonderings on August 15, 2018, 01:17:45 PMThe best replacement I have seen for Illustrator and Photoshop is from Affinity (Designer and Photo). Modern UI and works very fast. They are working on their own version of Indesign. Will be a decent package when it is done though I think it will be a very long time before they can even come close to catching up to Indesign. Would love to be proven wrong on that. I am wary of the free graphic programs, we have had many clients come in with stuff they did on their own in those various programs and they can be a nightmare. The Affinity stuff seems to be more common sense with the basics that we are all used to. I would look at them before anything else, for a couple hundred bucks you will have everything with no monthly fees.

I get files like that from people running the latest version of Adobe CC. <<true but not funny>>

I can't get on the Affinity bandwagon until I see a useable page layout app (Affinity Publisher has been promised for like I said...194 years it feels like). And when I do...I expect Adobe to throw a boatload of cash at them and buy them out and kill them off. Because we can't have nice things.

I get garbage files from all sorts of programs, least of them is Adobe software though and it is much easier to fix them in the right app then opening a file that was made in something else and hope things translate well.

Affinity did release a dumb teaser video about their page layout app, they are calling it "Publisher". Worst name ever as every prepress guy in the world has had issues with Microsoft Publisher files. That aside it will be coming out, I think they said a beta would be out next year. I will buy it just to check it out as the software is cheap enough, I have no doubt that I will not be able to replace Indesign with it. Indesign is my main app, Illustrator and Photoshop are useful tools but I barely use them compared to Indesign.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on August 15, 2018, 02:29:08 PMI get garbage files from all sorts of programs, least of them is Adobe software though and it is much easier to fix them in the right app then opening a file that was made in something else and hope things translate well.

Affinity did release a dumb teaser video about their page layout app, they are calling it "Publisher". Worst name ever as every prepress guy in the world has had issues with Microsoft Publisher files. That aside it will be coming out, I think they said a beta would be out next year. I will buy it just to check it out as the software is cheap enough, I have no doubt that I will not be able to replace Indesign with it. Indesign is my main app, Illustrator and Photoshop are useful tools but I barely use them compared to Indesign.

Yeah they have said the beta would be out next year for a few years now. I had mentioned the name earlier and I agree Publisher was a bad name to use. Might as well have called Affinity PageMaker®. :rotf:

My main app is Acrobat/Pitstop. No one is working on a replacement for that. Or should I say a reasonably priced replacement.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.