LogMeIn options

Started by Farabomb, January 22, 2014, 09:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Since as of Jan 21st LogMeIn free isn't offered I have to find another option or spend the money. I wouldn't mind a one time fee but I don't like a yearly subscription that they can change the price as they feel fit.

What options are out there and does anyone have personal experience with it? I am just looking for remote access from home or laptop. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles LogMeIn Pro has. I do need it to support multiple screens, since I have 2 displays on the mac
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

I didn't know they were discontinuing the free service - that sucks! It's very handy to be able to access my home computer from work, or vice versa, but I don't do it enough to justify buying it.

I hope we find a free alternative.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I know I can find a VNC client or something. Looking into Teamviewer right now.

If you have your computers on the free LogMeIn you have 7 days to pay up or find another solution.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Yeah, I just downloaded/installed Teamviewer. At first glance it's not as easy to set up as LMI. Shall test it out tonight.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

There Goog's Remote Desktop
NeoRouter
Teamviewer (already mentioned but "TeamViewer recently pushed an "update" that imposes a fairly short time limit on the free connections. This was not mentioned to the users prior to running the update. It also "upgraded your account" online so you can no longer run the older unlimited version of teamviewer.")
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 22, 2014, 09:09:35 AMSince as of Jan 21st LogMeIn free isn't offered I have to find another option or spend the money. I wouldn't mind a one time fee but I don't like a yearly subscription that they can change the price as they feel fit.

What options are out there and does anyone have personal experience with it? I am just looking for remote access from home or laptop. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles LogMeIn Pro has. I do need it to support multiple screens, since I have 2 displays on the mac

I just switched everything yesterday to team viewer. Seems to work well so I am sticking with it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 22, 2014, 10:19:30 AMThere Goog's Remote Desktop
NeoRouter
Teamviewer (already mentioned but "TeamViewer recently pushed an "update" that imposes a fairly short time limit on the free connections. This was not mentioned to the users prior to running the update. It also "upgraded your account" online so you can no longer run the older unlimited version of teamviewer.")

Hadn't seen that.

I also use Chicken...but it does rely on VNC so you do have to open ports on your firewall for it to work.

Farabomb

Teamviewer seemed to be nice but the initial buy-in of $800 for the license is a bit steep. Thanks for the info on the limits of the free version.

NeoRouter seems decent, any experience?

I love my android but I'm not sure I need the goog in everything in my life.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 22, 2014, 10:26:15 AMTeamviewer seemed to be nice but the initial buy-in of $800 for the license is a bit steep. Thanks for the info on the limits of the free version.

What $800 buy-in?

DCurry

My problem with Google Chrome Remote Desktop is it only works through the Chrome browser.

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on January 22, 2014, 10:29:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on January 22, 2014, 10:26:15 AMTeamviewer seemed to be nice but the initial buy-in of $800 for the license is a bit steep. Thanks for the info on the limits of the free version.

What $800 buy-in?

$750 is the first tier of paid version. Goes up from there. May keep it as a backup but I don't see up springing for that.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I am using the free version and definitely won't be springing $750 for the paid version.

DCurry

So do I need to leave the Teamviewer app running in order to connect to a computer? I set up my work machine, but when I went home to try it out it said it couldn't connect.

Farabomb

I tried the Google remote and it didn't seem to suck. I have teamviewer as a backup. I'll be playing around more today.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mwc

Quote from: DCurry on January 23, 2014, 05:18:35 AMSo do I need to leave the Teamviewer app running in order to connect to a computer? I set up my work machine, but when I went home to try it out it said it couldn't connect.

I've been 'playing' with this the past day or so with sporadic success connecting home to work.
It seams you need to assign your computer by going to the bottom button of the general preferences tab ON BOTH MACHINES.
You need to keep the app running on BOTH machines all the time (if the top menu bar icon isn't present, the app isn't running.
Also, you need to assign/setup a password for unattended access on both machines.
THEN both machine will show up in the Computers & Contacts area  (Partners and Offiline)
I have had it work a few times, but for some reason one or the other computer will go offline - and I'm pretty sure I left both setup properly - maybe it's a sleep setting  and the Wake-on-Lan setting in the general prefs need to be set? (I haven't quite figured that out yet)

So I am using LMI still to the remote machine, and making sure the app is running and set, then it shows ONLINE and I can run TEAMVIEWER and make a connection (Of course that's idiotic....but LMI works as a background process and It has always worked if the app isn't started --I liked LMI for that, but I need to figure out the fix 'cause LMI is 'dead-to-me' because of the way they treated customers with this RAPID switch to a Pay-only model. I had purchased the android LMI-Ignition app a few years back as well...Just pisses me off. (TeamView does have a FREE phone/tablet app - BTW)

Sure, they will give me another 6mo. free because I purchase this 'lifetime - free access' app, and then give me the option to buy 2 licenses at 50% for the FIRST YEAR-----then $99 after that. I am DONE with them though, I don't use it that often to justify it...and,well, they just pissed me off they way they are doing this transition (yeah...repeating myself here)

Hoping TeamViewer will work for a brain-dead automatic solution where I don't need to remember to keep both machine in a certain state all the time to access them (unattended) - just some more hoops to jump through to see if this will work, i'd even PAY them for this...if it really works in my 'brain-dead-simple' world....if is reasonable of course (not the $800 plan!!!).

Will keep checking to see if someone has the answers to this.(if TeamViewer or another is a workable solution). I liked LMI....likED.

Maybe they (LMI) would at least consider have a reduced/free plan for just a 2-user (Home-Work) option...but then again, I wouldn't trust them anymore.