News:

Main Menu

InDesign 5.5

Started by frailer, May 20, 2011, 06:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sau007

Hi,

I hated this feature when I first got CS5, it annoyed the hell out of me.
You know, when I want to make a pdf, it usually means I'm done with the job and want to move on,
so it made no sense to have to wait for the pdf to finish exporting or come back to this job later.

So I found a very simple workaround in the Adobe User to User forum. This procedure turns off all background exporting:

Mac OS:
1) Create an empty text file and save it with the name "DisableAsyncExports.txt"
2) Control+Click on the Adobe InDesign CS5.app file in your Applications folder and choose Show Package Contents
3) Move the text file from step 1 into Contents/MacOS/ so the full path to the file is now:
/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Adobe InDesign CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt

Cheers

DigitalCrapShoveler

Seriously, why disable it? You could just... I don't know... wait. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Syphon

Heads up on a bug I ran into in InDesign CS5.5.

Had a client send a CS5.5 file created on Mac. The only copy of CS5.5 we have is on PC, opened the file on PC and export backwards. Opened backward file on Macs and file can't find the fonts in the Document Fonts folder. Had to load fonts into Suitcase Fusion for it to see the fonts. I'm guessing it is because the client used Mac Postscript fonts and CS5.5 corrupt something. Tried everything I could think of except throw CS5.5 in trash.

Well, got the job done but took a lot longer to do.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

Did you try parking them here, Syphon?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Listen to Frailer. I have seen this a lot with Indy CS5 and older fonts not showing up. Loaded into suitcase but not showing up in InD. Drop them into the InDesign Fonts folder and bazinga. A few examples are, Bookman Old Style, Cooper Black, Gill Sans, Bauhaus... and yes, all were old PS fonts.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

If I'm working in InDesign, this is the only way I will do it now. Font management? Bah, who needs it.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on January 11, 2012, 02:48:47 PMListen to Frailer. I have seen this a lot with Indy CS5 and older fonts not showing up. Loaded into suitcase but not showing up in InD. Drop them into the InDesign Fonts folder and bazinga. A few examples are, Bookman Old Style, Cooper Black, Gill Sans, Bauhaus... and yes, all were old PS fonts.
Sometimes you can get a font to show by quitting and relaunching ID after loading font into Suitcase or FEX. Sometimes not. The only sure way is to do this (Drop them into the InDesign Fonts folder).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Syphon

Quote from: frailer on January 10, 2012, 09:37:28 PMDid you try parking them here, Syphon?

DAMN! I forgot about that one.
Thanks for reminding me frailer.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Tracy

i have had some luck with removing from FEX and putting back in
I don't have 5.5 yet, looking forward to the Document Fonts Folder thingy
just fyi :laugh:

pspdfppdfxhd

Can anyone save down a 5.5 to a 5 for us?

our ftp:

ftp site: ftp://regalpress.myftpserver.com

user name: misc
password:misc9128

file named: ST7236 CVHF Special 2 LR_final.indd

Thanks

Duffy

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 03, 2012, 06:23:26 AMCan anyone save down a 5.5 to a 5 for us?

our ftp:

ftp site: ftp://regalpress.myftpserver.com

user name: misc
password:misc9128

file named: ST7236 CVHF Special 2 LR_final.indd

Thanks

tried to open - says uses Content Share plugin?????
told to ignore and it said all of my plugins had to updated.
Maybe someone else can get it to work.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

pspdfppdfxhd

thanks for trying...that's the same message I get.

maybe the deziner is using some plug in like the old Pasteboard XT in Quack from days gone by.

?

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Duffy on May 03, 2012, 07:43:57 AMtried to open - says uses Content Share plugin?????

that means you don't have the version it was created with, or above.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Duffy

Quote from: t-pat on May 03, 2012, 09:04:36 AM
Quote from: Duffy on May 03, 2012, 07:43:57 AMtried to open - says uses Content Share plugin?????

that means you don't have the version it was created with, or above.

Nothing is simple, have 5.5 with all of the latest updates to everything that is Adobe installed....
Can't afford to be behind with the cost of all of these updates
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12