Annoying reset of preferences

Started by DCurry, March 07, 2012, 06:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

This is annoying - every now and then, InDesign CS 5.5 will crash. In itself that is no big deal, but when it does happen it goes back to the default preferences.

It's easy enough to replace the preferences using Time Machine (very easy, in fact), but I've never seen apps do that before. Anyone else noticing this?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

David

Not me (I've only got one copy of 5.5 and it's on another Mac that I don't use, but so far no one has complained about it crashing).

Have you checked to see if you have any font conflicts? From my experience, that's usually the first thing to check.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: DCurry on March 07, 2012, 06:56:14 AMThis is annoying - every now and then, InDesign CS 5.5 will crash. In itself that is no big deal, but when it does happen it goes back to the default preferences.

It's easy enough to replace the preferences using Time Machine (very easy, in fact), but I've never seen apps do that before. Anyone else noticing this?

my install of Indy 5 does that but not my install of 5.5. It is really annoying. I used to keep a copy of the good preferences file on my desktop to restore it but got out of the habit.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Probably a corrupt preference file is what caused it to crash and CS 5.5 is smart enough to create a new preference file instead of just not starting like Quark does. To me its the lesser of two evils. I do like t-pat mentioned and keep a copy of my preference file for Indy, Illy, PS, and Acrobat.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Yeah, I have copies as well. Easier just to use Time Machine.

I'm not really trying to figure out why it crashes - it's not too often.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

do you have to do anything to set up time machine?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on March 07, 2012, 08:58:20 PMdo you have to do anything to set up time machine?
Have a compatible network drive or a USB drive with available free space. And like a few hours for it to run the first time.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

Yep, TM is super-easy to set up and use. It's come in handy more than once, and the peace of mind of having good backups is priceless.

t-pat

I have tm backup of this machine at it''s virginal state with only the essential desktop apps and stuff on it, but the tm disk lives in my boss's desk drawer somewhere for emergencies. We use home sync and I think this is either the problem or the solution.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

Thanks! I will try and set it up