Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Edit: Now I don't have permission to delete things. This is so confusing.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

Here is what the PDF's show as errors on AFP.

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on August 09, 2019, 10:13:52 AM

I would go back into the NAS software and check your permissions on the shares, files and folders. Something has got to be wrong with them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 10:54:54 AM

I would go back into the NAS software and check your permissions on the shares, files and folders. Something has got to be wrong with them.

Where are you seeing this. Are you sure the PDF is good? You can copy to your Mac and open it?

DigiCorn

Dumb question, but on the Windows server have you looked at the shared permissions and checked the box next to "Macintosh?"
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Yeah we can copy to desktop and open them there. The same file opens just fine on SMB. We just can't delete stuff.

It's not a Windows server. its a LaCie 5Big NAS. The account we use is an admin account with Read/Write permissions. I've attached screenshots of the permissions windows. They are significantly more simple than a Windows server. The account we log in with is "ncg". I have tried this morning making new admin accounts and user accounts with read/write access and still same issues.

We did just get hit with yet another thunderstorm and our production manager is running over to Costco now to get a new battery backup as our server immediately shutdown (The battery backup display's that it is OK, but obviously is lying).

Joe

Have you changed any of those permissions recently? I ask because the files themselves may have different permissions. On a Mac you can change the permissions of a drive or folder but for it to change the permissions on all of the files and folders inside of that drive or folder you have to select the option to "Apply to enclosed items..." (see attached) I have no idea if you have that option on your NAS though.

Joe

On this PDF with this error residing on your NAS drive...from you Mac...select the file and do a COMMAND+I. What does the Mac show under "Sharing and permissions"? Also do this for a file you cannot delete. What does it show there for "Sharing and permissions"?

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 11:21:21 AM
Have you changed any of those permissions recently? I ask because the files themselves may have different permissions. On a Mac you can change the permissions of a drive or folder but for it to change the permissions on all of the files and folders inside of that drive or folder you have to select the option to "Apply to enclosed items..." (see attached) I have no idea if you have that option on your NAS though.

I'm unable to apply to enclosed items. It says I don't have permission to do so. Which confuses me as I'm logged in as an administrator.

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 11:26:56 AM

On this PDF with this error residing on your NAS drive...from you Mac...select the file and do a COMMAND+I. What does the Mac show under "Sharing and permissions"? Also do this for a file you cannot delete. What does it show there for "Sharing and permissions"?

On regular files, it shows my computer's login with Read & Write, a staff group with R&W, and an everyone group with R&W. On the files I can't delete, the staff group and the everyone group says Read Only. I was able to get rid of the file from the NAS OS web file browser. I couldn't delete the files via Mac with any user/admin account as well as on PC.

Joe

I think you would need to setup users on the NAS using the same user name and password as the Mac admin accounts. For example for user ncg...I think if you had an admin user account on your mac named ncg and use the same password it may then work. But if your NAS user name is ncg and your mac user name is AaronH it may copy files from your Mac with differing permissions than ncg so when you try to delete the file while being logged in as ncg it won't let you because it has your AaronH permissions from your Mac? Clear as mud? LOL

AaronH

I was testing that this morning. I created an ncg iMac admin account, then connected to the SMB share with the same credentials - no problem there. But I still couldn't delete things, couldn't open zips on the SMB (just to test it if it fixed that issue).

It's worth testing more though.

AaronH

So individual accounts don't work either. I've attached the permissions screenshots of the test folder in finder.

Weird thing is that it lets me unzip using the Mac archive utility, but doesn't actually do anything. No warning that it doesn't work, but it doesn't actually put the unzipped file anywhere.

Joe

So this NAS used to work OK until the last NAS firmware update? Can you revert to the previous option? I'm guessing no. >:(

Joe

So this folder you posted this screen grab of (attached)...that is folder on the NAS that you created on the Mac and then copied over to the NAS? And these are the permissions that are showing when you click on the folder when it is on the NAS share and do a COMMAND+i on your Mac?