Snow Leopard and XMF client

Started by frailer, December 05, 2009, 04:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Moved to XMF several weeks ago. Had to get an Intel Mac to run the necessary upgrade to Black Magic proofing. Plan A? Run XMF Client on all 3 Macs, (2 op's PPCs ~10.4.11). Then run a 3rd client on the (faster), Intel, so we could run proofing in the background, but slide over to impose and do stuff in XMF client.
Huh! Yeah..right!   :sarcasm:   XMF Client crashes under Snow Leopard...unuseable. So, back to PPCs, slo-w-e-r...   :rolleyes:

FFEI's slated fix on this...March 2010.   :banghead:   Am about to hound the UK about this. Any other XMF users out there, please feel welcome to join in and sink the slipper...
There is one certainty, the stars never fully align in prepress.

Oh, Serendipity, a few guys in a building in downtown Sydney, have got Black Magic nailed to Snow Leopard. Silky smo-o-o-th. And BM is no lightweight app.The might of FFEI; March next year.
Meh. Not happy, Jan!
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Prinergy users are having problems as well under Snow Leopard. The problem seems to be the 64 bit Java 6 VM in Snow Leopard. The fix seems to be to install the Java 5 VM from Leopard. Get your terminal boots on and have some fun. This link is actually written for another application but it goes into great detail for how to install Java 5 from Leopard into a machine running Snow Leopard.

http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yippee-Yi-Yo!   A 2010 calendar on its way if it works, Joe.    :grin:    I bet it'll be more productive than sinking the slipper into FFEI.   :rolleyes:

But wait, my Terminal experience amounts to removing one pesky file. Will this be a slow crawl to a marathon?   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Shouldn't be that hard. Just copy and paste one line at a time from that web page into terminal.

Trust me...nevermind that. Good luck! :laugh:

frailer

My one query, Joe, is the screenshot below. The relationship between the link in the demo Terminal window, and what I do with it this end? Go to Link, download, unZIP...Copy/Paste into Terminal window?
Newbie...    :cheesy:

OK, looking again...download>unpack>Install.  Then Terminal can find it (needs it for next Cmd. line..correct?). Amazing how a short trip to ebay can clear the mind.

Joe

I think terminal actually goes and gets it and installs it from the command line so....copy to the terminal window and hit enter after each line:

cd /tmp/

curl -o java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/isdal/snow_leopard_workaround/java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz

tar -xvzf java.1.5.0-leopard.tar.gz

sudo mv 1.5.0 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0-leopard

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/

sudo rm 1.5.0

sudo ln -s 1.5.0-leopard 1.5.0

sudo rm 1.5

sudo ln -s 1.5.0 1.5

open "/Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app"

which should bring up the GUI for Java Preferences.

And then change the properties to use Java 5 32-bit by default as shown in the photo.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 05, 2009, 03:06:03 PMI think terminal actually goes and gets it and installs it from the command line

Didn't realise terminal would be that smart. Thanks.

Joe

Let me know how it goes (like if it blows up in your face :laugh: ). I might have to do this someday too.

frailer

frailer

OK, one more question.  :embarrassed:  'get java 5 that was included with in 10.5 "leopard" and unpack' 
Do I need to insert a 10.5 disk in order to get this, or is that merely a description of the ensuing Terminal stuff that will happen anyway?
Sorry to labour the point.   :cheesy:    The latter, I suspect. 
I won't be attempting to do this until around small hours Monday AM, your time. Am also going to email Serendipity support before I do anything that might break BMagic on the same Mini.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 06, 2009, 12:42:16 AMOK, one more question.  :embarrassed:  'get java 5 that was included with in 10.5 "leopard" and unpack' 
Do I need to insert a 10.5 disk in order to get this, or is that merely a description of the ensuing Terminal stuff that will happen anyway?
Sorry to labour the point.   :cheesy:    The latter, I suspect. 
I won't be attempting to do this until around small hours Monday AM, your time. Am also going to email Serendipity support before I do anything that might break BMagic on the same Mini.

The curl command downloads from the web address shown in the example.

DESCRIPTION
       curl  is  a  tool  to  transfer data from or to a server, using one of the supported protocols (HTTP,
       HTTPS, FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP, TFTP, DICT, TELNET, LDAP or FILE).  The  command  is  designed  to  work
       without user interaction.

curl  offers  a  busload  of  useful tricks like proxy support, user authentication, FTP upload, HTTP
       post, SSL connections, cookies, file transfer resume and more. As you will see below, the  number  of
       features will make your head spin!

curl is powered by libcurl for all transfer-related features. See libcurl(3) for details.

tar unpacks it from the compressed .gz file

mv moves it to the proper folder

Rest of the commands just finishes up.

frailer

Thanks again, Joe. Monday 0630 hrs here. Shall let you know about (any) progress.

frailer

Mutter, mutter...got as far as 'mv' cmd...needed Password. I assumed, like the other Macs here, no Password set. Have a vague recollection that Terminal needs some password. Just quit out of Terminal at that stage, but the Download is in Downloads folder.
Guess I'll go into Prefs and see if I can (re)set a Password. Should be able to go back and pick up where I left off, I assume.
No damage done...yet.   :laugh:

frailer

Well, got there, after not splitting those lines Joe.   :embarrassed:   Doesn't seem to have done it, still crashes. Shall try Repair Permissions/fsck..restart in am. But don't hold out much hope.
Can you confirm from my screenshot that I've achieved the desired result, as far as that part of the exercise goes?

Thanks again.

Joe

Ahhhh, that looks proper to me. Must be a different issue than what Prinergy users are seeing. :sad: