Power Layout problems

Started by beck, December 10, 2009, 08:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

Ripped data, building new combo layouts.  The old CIP3s aren't accurate for the new combo.
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Skryber

I wonder if it's searching for a path for links that has changed. All jobs after a certain date do this or just some?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

beck

When we copy jobs back, the folder hierarchy stays exactly the same - otherwise it'll bomb right away.

Only some jobs on some DVDs - others are fine.  That's the frustrating part.
Joe

Skryber

Quote from: beck  on December 10, 2009, 11:59:39 AMWhen we copy jobs back, the folder hierarchy stays exactly the same - otherwise it'll bomb right away.

Only some jobs on some DVDs - others are fine.  That's the frustrating part.

Ew. I never had that happen. If I think of something, I'll let you know.

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Is it all jobs of that particular DVD or some jobs from the same DVD work and some don't?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beck

Yea, it's the whole disk...all or nothing.

Today, I've tried burning disks @ 1X, 2X and 4X...all 4 failed.
Joe

Joe

That's the problem I have with using CD/DVD for archiving. I have found the best thing is to try different brands until you find a brand that your burner likes at a speed that it also likes. Then don't change. Also make sure it does a verify after burning. Takes more time but you know up front if there was a problem.

beck

I always make sure it verifies.  If it fails I'll re-burn.  I KNOW all the disks I tried today were verified during the burning process. 

We USUALLY use the same brand of disk.  When checking them today, I tried both brands.  One failed, one passed of brand A, and One failed, one passed of brand B.
Joe

Joe

There again, that is why I don't like using CD/DVD for archiving. :laugh: Tapes suck and are slow but they are reliable. I really like our new disk based archiving system. 8 terabytes of sheer joy. :tongue:

beck

After bitching all morning about this, my manager says we're looking at a "Real" server right after 1/1/10.  We'll see...I'm not holding my breath.
Joe

Skryber

Quote from: beck  on December 10, 2009, 12:55:41 PMAfter bitching all morning about this, my manager says we're looking at a "Real" server right after 1/1/10.  We'll see...I'm not holding my breath.

Tell him to start looking now and be ready to purchase 1/1/10. Type that on his typewriter and leave it there.  :evil:  And a snowball too.

David

they should be looking now, for any year end specials...

close outs, discontinued models, etc.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

If you get one and need AFP (I'm guessing you will with Nexus) you will need to either have it configured with Windows 2003 Server which has AFP or if it has Windows 2008 Server you will need to get a product like Extreme Z-IP for AFP. Or buy a Mac Server.

beck

No chance of Pre-2010...budget-type politics.

I'll save your info, Joe.  I don't think it'll be a Mac server.

Thanks everyone for the help today.

beck
Joe

beck

Somehow the preview is getting stripped off the links? I know we use windows preview when generating a preview for the link file because macintosh preview won't show up in powerstepper for some weird reason.

G_Town,
You da Man (I think).
Finally got a call back from Esko @ 2:30 Friday (I literally had my coat on).  I called @ 8:00 AM CST Thursday.

Byron told me to switch to "Windows" Preview.  Said the Resource Fork won't get lost while burning the disk.  Said the only downside will be NO toggling of color seps in Power Layout, but will be fine in InSight.  Sounds opposite of what you told me.

I'm trying it on later...let you guys know what happens.

beck
Joe