here's one for you to think about

Started by David, April 30, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

same PDF file, opened in Acro 9 and Acro 8
have any you guys seen this before?
the file actually ripped okay, custy freaked when they saw the pdf file.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

to add to the story, original desinger got the pdf from client on another planet, orig desinger didn't like all the crop marks, so she placed it into ID CS4, cropped it down and re-exported a new pdf.
Took the second pdf and placed that into CS4 doc with all the other pages and exported a third pdf.

then opened CS4 file up and saved it back to a CS3 file.

have I lost you yet?

This has got to be up there with the morons leading the morons...

I guess what I want to know, is there a preview issue with Acro 9 pdfs being opened in Acro 8 that would cause this?
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

YES! I'm tracking for more occurrences to figure it out...
It proofs and plates fine, but looks bad on screen, right?

Our theory so far is that it's Indy CS4.
After 2 jobs, what we know for sure is that if we drop the same PDF in CS3 instead of CS4, the issue goes away  :banghead:

edit:
I do not think it is Acrobat
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

David

I think the original/original pdf they got came out of Indy CS4 and looked okay. It's just when you view it in Acro 8 and CS3 that it looks jacked up.

Maybe going back and forth between CS4 and CS3 it almost did some permanent damage.

The secondary desinger on this said that at one point, a drop shadow went away on parts of the copy as well, so I'm not sure.
But, it's looking like some serious compatibility issues between the two suites.
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Yeah, sux. At least it's not just you! :cheesy:
The problem is, even though it rips/proofs/plates ok, everyone soft proofs nowadays and it's jacked.

I'd go back to CS3 or CS2 and be happy as a puppy in a poodle parade.

David

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

puppy ina poodle parade...
funneh stuff!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I use nothing but CS4 at work and have not seen this issue at all. Not that it helps your issue though. Just sayin'... :wink:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

My lord! As soon as I get in a FUBAR PDF. I say get this out of my sight and send native files please. In this case, the native PDF...lol.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

LOL!!!!!!!!!!11  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Captain_Type

Looks like a bad font subset/embed.

Is one Acrobat set to "use local fonts" and one not?

Or is the font present in the Library:Application Support:Adobe:Fonts folder and seen by one version and not the other?

Or maybe the "Type Support" folder in the same location? ("TypeSpt" looks like the older version of that folder.)

Grasping at straws here...
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

David

no, it's the exact same pdf just opened in 9 or 8 (I even opened it up in Acro 7, just to see, and you ought to see how bad jacked a pdf can get, it lost all the type!).
All the fonts are subset, it's just Acro 8 displays it all jacked up. If you open the file in Acro 8, select the Pitstop selection tool, outline the font, it looks normal and readable.
I guess that there is just enough of a difference in between 9 and 8 that makes them not so compatible.

so, the moral of the story is, if you make it in CS4, keep it in CS4, and that means Acrobat as well.

just another day in prepress...

where the hell is DCS when you need him?

:kiss:
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Same impression here, not Acrobat...

but I shouldn't count it out so quick. The other day I got a few internal posters to output from HR dept.
I simply needed to change the [fpo type] to their names and go...
I tried for an hour in Acro7, using Pitstop, touchup text tool, etc... and couldn't change that type  :angry:
The next morning I opened it in Acro9 for giggles and that screwy type was selected and ready to change WITHOUT SELECTING ANY TOOL!
Just opened the files, immediately typed the changes and saved. Done.
 :huh:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: born2print on April 30, 2009, 02:30:38 PMSame impression here, not Acrobat...

but I shouldn't count it out so quick. The other day I got a few internal posters to output from HR dept.
I simply needed to change the [fpo type] to their names and go...
I tried for an hour in Acro7, using Pitstop, touchup text tool, etc... and couldn't change that type  :angry:
The next morning I opened it in Acro9 for giggles and that screwy type was selected and ready to change WITHOUT SELECTING ANY TOOL!
Just opened the files, immediately typed the changes and saved. Done.
 :huh:

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.     :huh:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

born2print

Or some new PDF-for-dummies format? It was literally like anyone can change this type.... except an experienced prepress operator! :death:

David

I just loaded CS4 on my mac about a week ago so I haven't played with Acobat enough to really speak about it's "features".
I do know that they (Adobe) enhanced the text editing abilities, it's kinda like Neo, where you can really edit text with text reflow and the whole nine yards.
This particular pdf was a collaboration between two desingers, one with a new toy (CS4), the othr trying to "fix' it in CS3, I get the resulting thing called a pdf.

well, I guess it's time for me to jump in and check it out for real now, if I'm not back in a week or two, get gnub to send a posse. I know she has one.
 :laugh:

Livin' la Vida Loca