Using A Fillable PDF to generate a press-ready PDF?

Started by Chuck_Revised, January 14, 2008, 11:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck_Revised

I have a client that wants to use a fillable PDF (created from a press-ready PDF) to distribute to 10 locations, have those locations complete the changes (in lieu of typesetting) in the fillable PDF, save the PDF (probably using Acrobat Reader) and using the results as press-ready PDFs (or at least the basis of a press-ready PDF).  Changes would be made quarterly.

The original PDF is created in Indesign.  The document is tabloid, 2 colors, 2 sides, in individual 8.5x11 pages.

This arises as a solution to the many revisions (and much cost) that the locations made in the most recent version ($5,000 of typesetting, mostly alterations).  One location went through over a dozen proof cycles!

My role would be to create the fillable PDFs and possibly bring the resulting PDFs to a press-ready status.

I have created fillable PDFs from my own original layout program files using Acrobat 6 and 8.  These were intended for completion online for web use or local output only, not presses.

Would this scheme work?  Has anyone ever used a fillable PDF in lieu of typesetting?  I assume the operators at the locations would be your standard office folks as opposed to graphic arts software knowledgable (excuse the poor choice of words).

Thanks in advance for your help.

ninjaPB_43

I would think as long as you could make the incoming pdf from the different locations into a pdf-X/1a through Acrobat's preflight, you'd be fine.. 

edit: could even have a droplet on desktop to drag and drop all incoming, to output the "press-ready" pdf-X1/a...   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

pdboddy

I think it would work, as ninjaPB_43 mentioned, if you run the file through the preflight as a pdf-X/1a pdf.

You would need to use Acrobat 8 in order to make the pdf forms savable with Adobe Reader, through the "Enable Usage Rights..." option under the Advanced menu.

I'd be concerned about colour settings since you never know what other people's Acrobat and Reader save settings are like.

Chuck_Revised

As a 2-color piece with grayscale photos, I believe the colors will be intact.  Not sure I'd even consider it with a process color job.