News:

Main Menu

FILE CANT RIP?

Started by JARRIGO, September 18, 2014, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Virtual Proofs in Prinergy, known as VPS, are screened composite proofs. Customers never see them....at least not here anyway. We use the VPS internally for prepress only. Customers look at PDF's within Insite either through Smart Review with all of the fancy preflight and annotation tools or with Preview which is like a 3D Flipbook with the pages in order...hopefully.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

hmm... well I guess that really isn't any better. XMF has a fine VPS style viewer built in. And it will export a 3D proof, but you have to use a .jar reader, which sucks.

I can have clients look at PDFs, but they aren't rendered and that makes me nervous. Nothing beats the good ol spinjet composite proof for content accuracy.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

We've never had an issue with the viewed files in Insite not matching the output of the plates. The biggest problem we have is customers uploading files and approving them without looking at them. I just love calling customers at 1:00 am and telling them they approved a page earlier that evening that was blank...which matched exactly what they uploaded. And then they get pissy because they have to get out of bed, get dressed, and drive 45 minutes back to the office.

Ear

:evil: That's like taking drunk dialing to a whole new level.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on September 18, 2014, 03:20:06 PM:evil: That's like taking drunk dialing to a whole new level.

My sig on my work email, below my name and title has the words, "Check your files carefully after uploading...and then check them again just to be sure". Does anyone pay attention to that? No. Another favorite is a 72 page book and they only upload 71 pages. Never check to make sure everything is there. Go home. Then get pissed at me when they have to get out of bed, get dressed, and drive 45 minutes back to the office. Lather...rinse...repeat. It's like everyday is groundhog day. It's been going on as long as I can remember...approximately 1979 for me but I'm sure it was happening before that. David? Frailer? Hotmetal? Tap?

Ear

I started kindergarten 1979.  :grin:

Joe

So in 1979 you were dealing with more intelligent life forms than I was. :laugh:

Ear

:laugh: And they had some tasty glue in the 70s. nom nom nom

David

... about the word "approved"...

it is just a way of keeping the file on the server until they find a better one.

for some reason most of my Insite custys love to approve all the pages and then call me so I can reject pages for them, you know they really need to make that tracking change, cause it just bugs the bejesus out of them after they stare at it for a while.  morons
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on September 18, 2014, 03:55:14 PM... about the word "approved"...

it is just a way of keeping the file on the server until they find a better one.

for some reason most of my Insite custys love to approve all the pages and then call me so I can reject pages for them, you know they really need to make that tracking change, cause it just bugs the bejesus out of them after they stare at it for a while.  morons

A daily occurrence here too. Just had two of them since I got here an hour and a half ago.

David

maybe they need a new word on Insite...   "can't decide".

either Reject, Approve, or Can't Decide
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Or "Approved with the option to change my mind later". :sarcasm:

Farabomb

I thought customers always had that option.

Custy: I'm rejecting the job because I don't like the color.

Me: Ummm... you picked that PMS color.

Custy: I don't like it, it doesn't look right.

Me: We had ink drawdowns and the ink was custom made to your specs.

Custy: It doesn't pop enough.

Me: We went through 3 different ink formulations. Here's your signoff on the final mix.

Custy: It just doesn't make me feel inspired.

Me: <to self> I NEED some of the shit you're on. Can't you share?<?self> You were here on the presscheck. We held the press for 2 hours because you were late. Then you took another 2 to approve the color.

Custy: I'm rejecting it because we can't use them.

Me: Okay, my driver will be over to pickup the job.

Custy: That's okay, we'll throw it out.

Me: No, really we will come and take the job back. No need for it to clutter up your warehouse since you can't use it.

Custy: Well, there are a few pieces.

Me: That's ok, you probably needed a few to show management to find out if it was good or not.

Custy: No like there are only a few left.

Me: The order was for 10m, how many are left?

Custy: 100

My boss: That's ok, we'll rerun it at no cost.

Me: WTF.  :hangme:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Ear on September 18, 2014, 03:40:19 PMI started kindergarten 1979.  :grin:
holy shit! I thought you were older than me. I started in '76. Yes, I remember the bi-centennial. I was on the beach in Portland, and we got a Chinook stuck on the beach.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway