Anyone still using 10.5???

Started by Foozball, May 06, 2009, 12:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foozball

I have some "random/crap" errors that keep appearing on our RIP, and the owner isn't really eager to renew our Rampage contract - GASP!!! :death: (Shocking, I know!!)

If I post some error data can anyone help me narrow down the source of these issues??

They're not anything that I can track down using "logic" ... so I have a sneaking suspicion it's a hardware issue, and we might need either a new server or hard-drive on the RIP.
I'm already VOLUNTEERING to tell him the news if we need a new server, would be awesome to see "that look" on his face ... :evil:

Skryber

I'll have a look. Post the data.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Foozball

Thanks Skryber!!!  :grin:
A lot of these are fixed by re-exporting the EPS, sometimes I have even duplicated and re-named the NON-WORKING file and then it worked. WTF?
But they seem to be becoming more frequent ... and we haven't changed any other machines in here that might effect it. Last week I had to re-export multiple pages up to 5 times until they worked... :banghead:

I'm assuming you only need the error posted? If you need more just say so, thanks again!

Example 1----------
Fatal Error : trapping: Number of objects in this run does not match build trapping pass.
Error :  Some object(s) unprocessed in file 
Error : \\pc_server\rampage_vol\Rsi Jobs\42911 Irx Catalog\Rsi Data\42911 IrxCat
lg_01.eps\Trap\Obs:
Error :  {772 1 179 /b /sk 20 100 0 0 {/4 137 92 0 52 } 33.0 }
Error :      Last processed object was: 
Error :  [770 1 179 /b /sk 20 100 0 0 {/4 140 94 0 52 } 33.0 ]
Error : RIP failed. Postscript language error.
Error :  Copyright @

Example 2 -----------

Log Entry:

42911 IrxCatlg_08.eps          Wed May 06 12:16:51 2009  SYS-ID:05639rH

TRAP: Building Trap Info

Error : undefined; OffendingCommand: F.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Error :  %%[ Error: undefined. OffendingCommand: F ]%%

Error : RIP failed. Postscript language error.
Error :  Copyright @ 
Total Trap Time                     00:00:06   --:--:--   (--:--:--)   00:00:06

[/][/]

Skryber

I've had an error similar to this almost every time I ripped a page with transparency and a spot color (copyright error). Sometimes embedding all the links would do it or sometimes I would re-register the same EPS over and over again until it finally ripped. I have never figured out what was causing the error. Mainly because it didn't always happen. After we upgraded, I never saw the error again. However, we also got a brand new server at the same time. Sorry I can't be much help.  :tongue:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Foozball

I'll answering my own questions, just for posterity, incase someone else has these issues! :wink:

To the best of my memory these errors appeared MUCH more frequently after CS4 was released, so I'm going to assume it's an Rampage 10.5 vs CS4 issue. So a RAMpage upgrade would probably fix it, but in these time$, that ain't gonna happen!  $ :angry: $
Seems like the error can be fixed if I: open the files Image files appearing on the page, select all, and past/save it into a new document!

As much as I'd like to bitch and moan about NOT having CS4 or RAMpage upgraded, for the moment I'll be quiet, as I resave images for pages that won't RIP.

Any chance (LONG shot I know) anyone can break down what these numbers might be relating to?
Error :  [719 1 179 /b /sk 20 100 0 0 {/4 140 94 0 52 } 33.0 ]

Joe

Quote from: Foozball on May 12, 2009, 09:15:11 AMAny chance (LONG shot I know) anyone can break down what these numbers might be relating to?
Error :  [719 1 179 /b /sk 20 100 0 0 {/4 140 94 0 52 } 33.0 ]

Take out all the non numbers and play the lottery with the remaining numbers. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

We're using 10.6 and haven't really had any problems with CS4 files (I almost always use PDF, though) and if you look, those are postscript language errors 
Murphy must have been in printing....

almaink

I think if you guys ditch the eps's and start using PDF's exported from whatever program, these random fubar errors will stop. WTF people still use eps is beyond me. Postscript is no longer needed with the new rips and seems to cause more issues if it's used from what I've seen.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Foozball

I agree about the PDFs, but I'm not (yet) in a position to rock the boat here!  :wink:
(The owner already like to try and bust my balls WITHOUT reason, if he actually HAD a reason ... it would end badly!)  :death:

glen-odi

We're still running 10.5. And I often use CS3 for building files to keep clear of the CS4...

Concerning the EPS vs PDF debate...I've actually had times where Rampage gives me the "too many colors" error when the file was PDF. Opening the PDF in AI, saving it as an EPS solves this.

glen
prepress manager
odicorp.com & idoprint.com
On Demand Imaging - http://odicorp.com
iDoPrint - http://idoprint.com

DigiCorn

We're still running 10.4 (which works fine for us right now) and CS3 (we do have one machine with CS4, but we save what few files we get down and rework in CS3). Now I feel like such a technophobe, but I got my G4 and 10.4.11 set up all how I like it and I don't want an Intel Mac!!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway