Region hacks_DVD players

Started by frailer, May 31, 2011, 05:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Our old Samsung DVD/VHS player died. Got one from local eBay; nice little Sony (DVP-NS300)... $16. Remote, manual, in good shape, working well. Have a few Region 2 disks I'd like to play from time to time. Not fully tested yet but pretty sure it's Region 4 only (OZ, Sth America, etc).
Anyone know of any particular site/hacks for a straightforward hack to go all-region? Been surfing on it, just won't get back to it until tonight, here.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks, not a bad site, Joe. Missed it in my trawling. may give the below a go tonight... I'll get there.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Don't some players only let you change the region so many times before it's disallowed? Or is that old news?

I RIP DVDs into other formats so I don't have to fuss with shit like that.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 31, 2011, 06:36:39 PMDon't some players only let you change the region so many times before it's disallowed? Or is that old news?

The hack lets you view all region codes so there is never a need to change it again. I think they have about done away with region codes for blue-ray disks but DVD players still have them. I just got a blue-ray player and it says it will play DVD's of all region codes...right out of the box.

frailer

One of the greatest restrictive trade scams of all time. I think I may be better off going new/discount/all regions. Got a whiff of head-banging to it, this hack stuff.
But I'll give it a go, for a bit...

Joe

Quote from: Joe on May 31, 2011, 06:44:24 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 31, 2011, 06:36:39 PMDon't some players only let you change the region so many times before it's disallowed? Or is that old news?

The hack lets you view all region codes so there is never a need to change it again. I think they have about done away with region codes for blu-ray disks but DVD players still have them. I just got a blu-ray player and it says it will play DVD's of all region codes...right out of the box.

I think I misread what my blu-ray player said...it is more like this.

QuoteRegion codes

Regions for the Blu-ray standard:[112]
  A/1: The Americas (except Greenland), and their dependencies, East Asia (except mainland China and Mongolia), and Southeast Asia.
  B/2: Africa, Middle East, Southwest Asia, Europe (except Belarus, Russia and Ukraine), Australia, New Zealand, and their dependencies.
  C/3: Central Asia, East Asia (mainland China and Mongolia only), South Asia, Eastern Europe (Belarus, Russia and Ukraine only), and their dependencies.

As with the implementation of region codes for DVDs, Blu-ray Disc players sold in a specific geographical region are designed to play only discs authorized by the content provider for that region. This is intended to permit content providers (motion picture studios, etc.) the ability to support product differences in content, price, release date, etc., by region. According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, "all Blu-ray Disc players...(and) Blu-ray Disc-equipped computer systems are required to support regional coding." However, "Use of region playback codes is optional for content providers..."[113] Some current estimates suggest 70% of available [movie] Blu-ray Discs from the major studios are region-code-free and can therefore be played on any Blu-ray Disc player, in any region.[114]

Movie studios have different region coding policies. Among major U.S. studios, Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios have released all of their titles region-free.[115][116] Sony Pictures and Warner Bros. have released most of their titles region-free.[117][118][119] Lionsgate and Walt Disney Pictures have released a mix of region-free and region-coded titles.[120][121] 20th Century Fox and MGM have released most of their titles region-coded.[122][123]

The Blu-ray Disc region coding scheme divides the world into 3 regions, labeled A, B, and C.

Region A includes most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus the Republic of China (Taiwan), Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea.
    Region B includes most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.
    Region C contains the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as the People's Republic of China and Russia.

In circumvention of region coding restrictions, stand-alone Blu-ray Disc players are sometimes modified by third parties to allow for playback of Blu-ray Discs (and DVDs) with any region code.[124] Instructions ('hacks') describing how to reset the Blu-ray region counter of computer player applications to make them multi-region indefinitely are also regularly posted to video enthusiast websites and forums. Unlike DVD region codes, Blu-ray region codes are verified only by the player software, not by the optical drive's firmware.

frailer

Rather than stemming the tide of piracy (tsunami?) all they do is make it less likely for legit punters to purchase online DVDs from other regions.   :huh:   MGM. Me Got More. Disney-Schmismey

Farabomb

Yep, all the copyright protection in the world won't stop people from getting around it. Most hackers/crackers do it for no other reason than the challenge. The time spent getting around the code far outweighs the cost of going out and buying it. DRM ends up being more of a hassle for the legit end user than the hacker normally. Some games need an internet connection or you can't play them. I'd be real pissed after spending $50 and find out I can't play it if my connection is down/non-existent. Makes you wonder why you're spending money and getting a product that doesn't work when it's easier just to download a cracked version and not have issues.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

For a second I thought this thread was "Religion Hacks"  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

www.afterdawn.com is also a very good site for dvd/blu-ray stuff
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway