One set top box to rule them all

Started by DigiCorn, March 04, 2013, 02:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on March 04, 2013, 04:14:43 PMI'm just going to mirror the output via VGA I think... either that or I have to spend some small money on a HDMI splitter (they do exist, I've seen them on Amazon) and make a larger hole so the hdmi plug fits through the holes I have already for the coax. I used to have a comcast digital adapter box in there. Pretty low on the priority list, I have way too many projects at home still.
I got this one and it works.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 04, 2013, 04:22:13 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2013, 04:15:46 PMSomething is not right then for ESPN3. If you have an ESPN approved internet service provider, and Comcast is, you should be able to get ESPN3 on any device connected through that service provider. I get ESPN3 on all of my devices including Roku (via the Plex channel), Plex standalone , and XBMC as well as tablets, PC's and Macs. And I also have DirecTV and it doesn't keep me from watching ESPN3. DirecTV has nothing to do with your service provider unless you are getting satellite internet through them.
On android/ipad/iphone I get the message: Directv does not authorize content to be viewed on this device, and if I choose Comcast off the dropdown then I get a login screen. If I login with my account, it gives me an invalid user message. I think it's probably because you have to have a Comcast tv account and not just an internet account.

I just downloaded and reinstalled on my phone. Directv is no longer on the list, so I picked Comcast and now it's working.  :wtf:

I only have Charter internet and not cable and it works for me. It goes by your ISP only. And you shouldn't have to log in. At least I don't.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2013, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2013, 04:15:46 PMSomething is not right then for ESPN3. If you have an ESPN approved internet service provider, and Comcast is, you should be able to get ESPN3 on any device connected through that service provider. I get ESPN3 on all of my devices including Roku (via the Plex channel), Plex standalone , and XBMC as well as tablets, PC's and Macs. And I also have DirecTV and it doesn't keep me from watching ESPN3. DirecTV has nothing to do with your service provider unless you are getting satellite internet through them.
On android/ipad/iphone I get the message: Directv does not authorize content to be viewed on this device, and if I choose Comcast off the dropdown then I get a login screen. If I login with my account, it gives me an invalid user message. I think it's probably because you have to have a Comcast tv account and not just an internet account.

I just downloaded and reinstalled on my phone. Directv is no longer on the list, so I picked Comcast and now it's working.  :wtf:

I only have Charter internet and not cable and it works for me. It goes by your ISP only. And you shouldn't have to log in. At least I don't.
I do... if it goes by IP, I am at work on the wifi, so maybe? no... because of the login...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

well I guess me not caring about sports is what makes it easy.

When I set this all up I looked at where I'd be watching the most stuff, and that's where the HTPC went. Right under the TV. Any remote watching is of secondary concern, the wife will watch anything, she downloads the stuff she really wants to watch though. Mostly while working in the basement, but that'll be all good when I mount the tv on the wall behind her desk.

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 04, 2013, 04:24:47 PM
I got this one and it works.
[/quote]

I screwed myself by not doing this while I had all the stuff out of the way where I have to pull wire down from the living room to the basement, it's a PITA, I have holes drilled in the corner through the hardwood floor going into the void above a ceiling in the basement, on the other side of a steel beam and some ducts, so I have to stand on something and reach my hand a foot into this void to get to the wires.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 04, 2013, 04:25:46 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2013, 04:25:03 PM

I do... if it goes by IP, I am at work on the wifi, so maybe? no... because of the login...

Who is your ISP at work?

DigiCorn

It should be a moot point because of the login. I now have a line on my app that says "Comcast Xfinity Signed In," and a green line that says "You Have Access To Video." Our ISP at work is Sure West.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I'm not sure why it wasn't working before, but it is now. Maybe because I am a new account?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Not sure. I was under the impression it detects your ISP and you either get it or not depending on the ISP it detects. It sounds like though if you have an approved ISP you can get it at other locations if you log in. Did you log in through your ISP account details or an ESPN account?

DigiCorn

Logged in through my home ISP, while connected to my work ISP.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway