Running linen/laid stock in color copier, I mean "digital press"

Started by gnubler, February 04, 2013, 10:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Has anyone here found a linen/laid cover stock that prints good quality on a color copier? I tried some sample prints for a customer and the result is always spotty due to the unsmooth finish. Our paper vendor said there are digital textured stocks available and I'm getting some samples this week to try. I often have similar results with large solid areas of color on some uncoated cover stocks (Cougar).
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

StudioMonkey

You could always scan a piece of textured paper and put it in the background as a pic.  A low res JPEG should be OK.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Fontaholic

Quote from: gnubler on February 04, 2013, 10:33:55 PMHas anyone here found a linen/laid cover stock that prints good quality on a color copier? I tried some sample prints for a customer and the result is always spotty due to the unsmooth finish. Our paper vendor said there are digital textured stocks available and I'm getting some samples this week to try. I often have similar results with large solid areas of color on some uncoated cover stocks (Cougar).

I have never found such a linen/laid cover yet -- if you have any successful results, please let us know!  :popcorn:

I do my best to discourage customers from selecting linen/laid/unsmooth stocks for the digital color press; because of the uneven texture of these stocks, the result is almost always unsatisfying.

Text weights seem to run OK, but not cover.

Cheers, John

Skryber

If I remember correctly, we used Neenah linen. Never a problem. Make sure it's "digital" stock. We also used Cougar digital Lynx but I don't think for linen.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

Quote from: opsprinting on February 05, 2013, 08:12:22 AMI do my best to discourage customers from selecting anything at all.

Fixed.

This is a customer from hell job, it makes me laugh. I'll have samples in today, don't know yet which brand. I'll post my results.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: Skryber on February 05, 2013, 09:46:04 AMIf I remember correctly, we used Neenah linen. Never a problem. Make sure it's "digital" stock. We also used Cougar digital Lynx but I don't think for linen.
^^^This^^^

I know Neenah has had linen/laid stocks for years in their digital line that's as good as you'll get.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

That pearlized linen stock from Neenah also performs quite well on the 700 and the BH6500. Customers "love" it...it's so shiny and purdy!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

The fancier it is the more they want it. I had this shit called Flexi grain to print on. Bosslady had to have it  for her biz cards. Looked like an orange peel. Print like garbage. She loved them.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on February 05, 2013, 12:35:42 PMThat pearlized linen stock from Neenah also performs quite well on the 700 and the BH6500. Customers "love" it...it's so shiny and purdy!

That's what I just tried. We got several colors of Neenah Digital Linen and they printed about 87% better quality than offset stock but the solid areas of color are still spotty. Maybe the custy will like the "worn" look. I'm doing this on a similar machine, KM6501.

Slappy

Quote from: gnubler on February 05, 2013, 01:21:57 PMMaybe the custy will like the "worn" look.
Tell 'em it's the new "Instagram paper" all of the hipsters love - it'll sell like hotcakes!!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: gnubler on February 05, 2013, 01:21:57 PM
Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on February 05, 2013, 12:35:42 PMThat pearlized linen stock from Neenah also performs quite well on the 700 and the BH6500. Customers "love" it...it's so shiny and purdy!

That's what I just tried. We got several colors of Neenah Digital Linen and they printed about 87% better quality than offset stock but the solid areas of color are still spotty. Maybe the custy will like the "worn" look. I'm doing this on a similar machine, KM6501.
It's not "worn" it's "distressed"  :laugh:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Possum

Turn up the paper weight settings so the machine thinks it's heavier stock than it is. We've had good luck with that on linen. Try at least two settings higher.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

gnubler

We ended up switching to Classic Crest. Even the "digital" linen stocks didn't look great and I tried every possible combination of settings.

Possum

Guess we were lucky, with an X-box yet. I didn't know there was digital linen stock. We just use 30 year old stuff off the rotten and forgotten shelf.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait