Firefox suddenly won't run on 10.5.8

Started by gnubler, November 19, 2013, 08:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I have an older iMac running 10.5.8 and have been running FF 16.0.2 on it for the past couple years, no issues. From what I've read, that's the highest FF this OS supports so shut up Joe!

Went out of town last weekend, shut down the Mac, and upon restarting I saw that FF was displaying text in a bold font...body text, links, etc. It was like this on all sites I viewed, and then suddenly FF would crash every time I clicked a link leading to another site. Crash, crash, crash. I assumed it was a mysterious font issue, so I trashed Prefs and restarted. More crashing. Fonts used in Prefs are the same as always...Helvetica & Times system fonts. Finally I ended up deleting the FF app and the library profile folder and reinstalled a fresh version of 16.0.2. Still crashing every time I click a link and a new tab opens.

Any ideas?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Using Safari right now and it's using the default fonts of Times & Monaco. No issues other that it's Safari.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Hmmm...have you considered upgrading to Mavericks? :tongue:

Seriously though...you deleted the Firefox folder from "Users/~/Library/Application Support" folder? I ask because usually deleting the folder named something funky like "yzhlw1nv.default" from the Profiles folder there usually fixes most issues.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

No, and yes.

Yesterday I just deleted the Prefs file, that did nothing. Today I manually deleted the .app and the entire Library folder as you mentioned, and did a fresh reinstall. Still crashed every time I clicked a link from one page to another. I've tried selecting different fonts in Prefs, still crashes.

Safari. Doomed.

Farabomb

Does your OS support chrome? I know it's the goog but it does work better than safari. Then again I think netscape works better than safari.

Firefox really started sucking so that's why I switched over to chrome.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

I'm on FF 3.6.28 here...  :old:

I keep getting warnings that "some plugins used by this page are out of date", but by and large it still works OK for me on my OSX 10.4.11 workstation...  :old:

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

gnubler

Quote from: Fontaholic on November 20, 2013, 08:50:07 AMI keep getting warnings that "some plugins used by this page are out of date", but by and large it still works OK for me on my OSX 10.4.11 workstation...

Ditto, up until 2 days ago. Maybe they're programmed to self destruct because I didn't make any changes or updates to anything, just shutdown/restart and BAM, shit's fucked.

It's not that I'm in love with FF or anything (they're in bed with google like everyone else), but that it just worked nicely. What else is there besides Chrome that would run on this older OS?

Fontaholic

Quote from: gnubler on November 20, 2013, 09:22:19 AMDitto, up until 2 days ago. Maybe they're programmed to self destruct because I didn't make any changes or updates to anything, just shutdown/restart and BAM, shit's fucked.

It's not that I'm in love with FF or anything (they're in bed with google like everyone else), but that it just worked nicely. What else is there besides Chrome that would run on this older OS?

I used to have good luck with the web browser Opera -- you might want to give them a look-see:

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=mac&list=all

DigiCorn

On the boss' ancient machine (which he needs to run PrintSmith - I guess the version he has won't run on a new machine), he can't run Chrome, Firefox doesn't work, and Safari locks up on the Google, so I installed Camino and that works great. Only problem is, Camino is officially gone... I think you can still download it here, though: http://caminobrowser.org/
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I wish they still made IE for Mac. :laugh:

Fontaholic

Quote from: gnubler on November 20, 2013, 10:29:45 AMI wish they still made IE for Mac. :laugh:

What about Netscape?  :old:

gnubler

After Corn said his Illy glyph issue "just worked" after he rebooted, I also rebooted and for the past 30 minutes FF has been running without a crash. I reinstalled Adblocker and everything seems "fine". Did I mention that Safari really sucks? :vomit:

Farabomb

Blame the NSA. Came in today and the RIP puked 4x, the MAC was doing dumb shit and I got a trial expired with pitstop. Rebooted and all is well.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Quote from: gnubler on November 20, 2013, 10:46:58 AMAfter Corn said his Illy glyph issue "just worked" after he rebooted, I also rebooted and for the past 30 minutes FF has been running without a crash. I reinstalled Adblocker and everything seems "fine". Did I mention that Safari really sucks? :vomit:

Funny how Macs sometimes just need a "time-out" like the rest of us, isn't it?   :rolleyes:

David

solar flares...

tin foil hat time as well
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca