Just got Ooma

Started by DCurry, February 02, 2014, 08:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Anyone here have Ooma for home phone service? It uses VOIP - you buy the box and then you only have to pay local taxes and fees every month (in my case, that comes to less than 5 bucks). Planning to cancel FiOs phone service if I like the Ooma, saving about $25 per month. Since the Ooma box was $125, should pay for itself in 5 months.

Just set it up last night - took about 10 minutes, seems to work fine. Rather than port my old number over right away, I set it to forward calls to the new Ooma number while I evaluate it. If I still like it after a couple weeks, I'll port the old number over and cancel FiOs voice.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I don't have Ooma but I do have VOIPo which is a similar service. If someone is talking on the phone it seems to bring the internet service to a crawl in the rest of the house. And occasionally I pick up the phone and have no dial tone and have to reboot the voipo box. There is no monthly fee with mine. I just had to pay $149.00 + tax/fees for two years service. The total was around $180.00. I think after the two years are up I'll probably just ditch the land line altogether.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I kind of like that once I buy the Ooma, I don't have to pay any subscription fee unless I want advanced features, which I don't need. As long as Ooma stays in business I'll be set. I'll be surprised if it affects my internet speed, considering I already had VOIP phone service thru FiOs. Dropping the landline is not an option for us - we keep our cell phone bills to the absolute minimum by using pay-as-you go T-Mobile (can be as low as $3.33/month if you don't use it too much), plus with kids in the house I like to have a landline.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Yup, been on Ooma  for a few years now & pretty much love it! I opted in for the "trial" of the advanced features & stayed with it for the blacklisting feature & VM to email, I believe they waived the phone number porting fee too which was kind of steep. Every so often the base station needs to be reset, it just drops all the lines in the house for some reason. That and the handset that came with our bundle sucks ASS for battery life. If left off the charger it will go dead within a day, even without being used. We have three other "normal" phones that are pugged into the Ooma base station though so it's not a huge deal.

I do love using that handset to push somebody directly to VM if we're watching TV or if I don't recognize the number though. I don't use the call forwarding to cell phone much, unless I'm expecting a call at home & don't want to miss it, then it's cool to have it ring to my iPhone too.

Did you get yours as a bundle at Costco or some place, or just the base station?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

I just got the Telo base station from Amazon. I'll wire it so all the phone lines in the house can access it through the phone wiring. I like using call forwarding, especially if I'm on vacation or something, but not enough to pay for the Premier service. Same with forwarding voicemails to email - nice, but not a necessity.

gnubler

Quote from: DCurry on February 02, 2014, 08:19:25 AMSince the Ooma box was $125, should pay for itself in 5 months.

At the rate I actually use a phone, it would take me about 12 years for it to pay for itself.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Unless you're already paying $12-25/month for a typical landline.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.