How do you pronounce the word "process"?

Started by DCurry, March 09, 2010, 05:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use a short "o" sound or long when referring to 4-color-process?

Long "o"
8 (24.2%)
Short "o"
25 (75.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: March 11, 2010, 05:23:32 PM

DCurry

Also, if you use the long "o" sound, do you also pronounce it that way in non-printing situations, such as in the phrase "process of elimination"? If not, why?

We're having a friendly debate at work.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I've heard plenty of people use the long "o". Most of them from Cleveland for some reason. But I use the short "o".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

All "long" here in OZ, FWIW. Short would appear pretentious.   :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Chilbear

Skryber

Short "o" here, but the designers I talk to in New Zealand pronounce it with the long "o". Half the time I don't know what they're saying because I get lost in that awesome accent.  :pant:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

frailer

The New Zealand accent is the strangest thing. It apparently went that way since WWII, according to the people who know about this stuff.
Vowel sounds tend t o merge quite a bit. So 'Sex in the City' would sound similar on 'sex' and 'city'...    :huh:

Beached As

Skryber

Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2010, 07:12:06 PMThe New Zealand accent is the strangest thing. It apparently went that way since WWII, according to the people who know about this stuff.
Vowel sounds tend t o merge quite a bit. So 'Sex in the City' would sound similar on 'sex' and 'city'...    :huh:

Beached As

Interesting. Funny video.  :grin:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

youston

Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2010, 05:56:30 PMAll "long" here in OZ, FWIW. Short would appear pretentious.   :cheesy:

Exactly the opposite here, you high-falutin' uppity PRO-cess sayer.  :tongue:

DCurry

Hmmm, I hadn't factored cool accents into the equation. Now that I think about it the long "o" sounds right with a British, Australian or NZ accent; just not for those of us who talk American!

Speaking of accents, what's up with how the Brits say "al-you-min-eeyum" for "aluminum" and "spess-ee-al-ity" for "specialty"?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

But don't North Americans miss out on the 'i' in aluminium anyway?   :huh:  I've been dying to aim this towards the right audience for years.    :evil:

...aloominum.   :cheesy:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2010, 09:35:43 PMBut don't North Americans miss out on the 'i' in aluminium anyway?   :huh:  I've been dying to aim this towards the right audience for years.    :evil:

Probably those crazy Brits stuck that unnecessary "i" in there like the "u" in color (colour). :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on March 09, 2010, 09:56:05 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 09, 2010, 09:35:43 PMBut don't North Americans miss out on the 'i' in aluminium anyway?   :huh:  I've been dying to aim this towards the right audience for years.    :evil:

Probably those crazy Brits stuck that unnecessary "i" in there like the "u" in color (colour). :laugh:

You could be right. Didn't factor that in.   :undecided:

jezza

Quote from: Joe on March 09, 2010, 09:56:05 PM

Steady  :tongue:
one sick prepress mofo