Fastest way to knock out backgrounds … any suggestions?

Started by ratintrap, January 26, 2012, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezza

Depending on the image a quick and dirty way of doing this is to work on a duplicate of the image, make it grey scale and then raise the brightness/contrast until you have a silhouette.

Open the original image and then while holding down shift, drag the silhouette layer onto the original images window. (Holding down shift will ensure the new layer drops in exactly the same position as he image below.

Select the silhouette (apple click on the layer thumbnail) - switch to the image layer, then chose shiw/hide selection from the layer menu and turn off the silhouette layer.

Probably gonna need some tidying up but it's pretty quick and similar to the channel technique.

Hey Rat, you still in London?
one sick prepress mofo

ratintrap

ratintrap

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 27, 2012, 08:57:12 AMI will do almost anything to avoid using the pen tool.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I guess I just need more practice.  :undecided:

ratintrap

DigitalCrapShoveler

Jezza and Rat in one day... It's a January 27th miracle! :banana:
Member #285 - Civilian

ratintrap

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jezza

Damn it! Why the hell did I think you were in London? Sorry Rat, must be getting old or something
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Quote from: jezza on January 27, 2012, 11:57:05 PMDamn it! Why the hell did I think you were in London? Sorry Rat, must be getting old or something

We were waiting for the 'aw,shit' moment jez.   :laugh:  How the f@*k are ya? How are the streets of London?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jezza

I'm doing OK cheers Frailer, the streets of London are pretty cold at the moment. Not as bad as last year, but I want some warmth in the sun!
one sick prepress mofo

ratintrap

Quote from: frailer on January 27, 2012, 11:41:04 PM
Quote from: ratintrap on January 27, 2012, 07:08:52 PM
Quote from: jezza on January 27, 2012, 01:59:55 PMHey Rat, you still in London?

Sadly, I've never been to London.

London, Ontario, maybe?   :undecided:

I've been to Ontario a couple of times but never London, Ontario.

ratintrap

I have never used the Quick Selection Tool + Refine Edge. Holy cow! This is going to save me hours!

It allows you to come up with an initial rough selection very quickly.

:aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana: :aljolson: :banana:

gnubler

Hey, whatever happened to that Rat guy?

I miss the good old days. :cry:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 30, 2012, 01:54:40 PMHey, whatever happened to that Rat guy?

I miss the good old days. :cry:

Me too. We're still here. :kiss:
Member #285 - Civilian