Goodbye, prepress

Started by gnubler, September 21, 2013, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

I was going to say "class reunion"...     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Standing at the computer where we clock in/out here...about to punch out for the last time.
Owner got us lunch, they all got me some mushy card and I cried.  :laugh:  (bastards)
there is a storm of emotions I am dealing with about everything (not just work/prepress).
Right now, departure looks like it will be in Mid-June so I'll be staying with friends here in town until then since I am moving out of my apt on the 31st. Which means I'll be on here more often until then.

Hope you all are doing well, I had enough time to post this not to browse... :hello:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

I hope all goes smoothly for you.
It's never too late to change your mind!

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on May 23, 2014, 01:55:12 PMStanding at the computer where we clock in/out here...about to punch out for the last time.
Owner got us lunch, they all got me some mushy card and I cried.  :laugh:  (bastards)
there is a storm of emotions I am dealing with about everything (not just work/prepress).
Right now, departure looks like it will be in Mid-June so I'll be staying with friends here in town until then since I am moving out of my apt on the 31st. Which means I'll be on here more often until then.

Hope you all are doing well, I had enough time to post this not to browse... :hello:

Good luck. Don't forget...I want pics of your adventure.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

In uniform is ok, I mean, you know... if you want to.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

David

remember, no drinking on the ship!

LOL
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on May 23, 2014, 01:55:12 PMStanding at the computer where we clock in/out here...about to punch out for the last time.

Remember to BE CAREFUL, and send pix. I love it down there. What you are doing was and is still a lifelong dream for many of us.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

youston

Said 'goodbye' to prepress in January. Now doing straight up programming, application development and data processing for a company that prints and manufactures plastic cards (hotel keys, RFID cards, gift cards, etc.)

Use InDesign on a daily basis to prepare data proofs, but that's about as close to prepress as I get.

Absolutely in love with the work ... although it's far, far away from any prepress I ever did (including all the VDP I've done over the past six years), it seems like a very natural progression.

frailer

Quote from: youston on June 16, 2014, 07:32:51 PMSaid 'goodbye' to prepress in January. Now doing straight up programming, application development and data processing for a company that prints and manufactures plastic cards (hotel keys, RFID cards, gift cards, etc.)

Use InDesign on a daily basis to prepare data proofs, but that's about as close to prepress as I get.

Absolutely in love with the work ... although it's far, far away from any prepress I ever did (including all the VDP I've done over the past six years), it seems like a very natural progression.

ow... my (old) head hurts.     :old:

You sound pretty happy with it.   :cool:  And you're living near Appalachian music.   :jealous:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Possum

Good for you, Youston. You can still come back here and gloat once in a while, can't you? We've lost too many of our main posters.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

Quote from: youston on June 16, 2014, 07:32:51 PMSaid 'goodbye' to prepress in January. Now doing straight up programming, application development and data processing for a company that prints and manufactures plastic cards (hotel keys, RFID cards, gift cards, etc.)

Good for you man.

I'm dying to get the hell out of this place. I'd be ok with prepress at another place but here is just plain miserable. I had a "vacation" last week and as I was leaving I was told there may be a job you'll have to work on.... then a email a few hours later about another possible job. Totally ruined my vacation.

Now the boss is going away for 2 days at the end of the week and I have to cover. I get no backup here at all but I have to cover everyone else's ass. Think I'll spend those 2 days putting down all my issues with this place and have him read it when he gets back.

Anyone hiring next week?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Also give the boss an invoice for anything you did for the company while on "vacation."
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

youston

Quote from: Possum on June 17, 2014, 07:22:13 AMGood for you, Youston. You can still come back here and gloat once in a while, can't you? We've lost too many of our main posters.

Oh, I don't think I'm going anywhere any time soon.

Tracy

That's very cool that you love your job!
Can't say I'm loving mine right now.
We are having boss issues right now