News:

Main Menu

RGB to Gray action

Started by metromike, February 14, 2023, 12:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metromike

I'm building an action from scratch trying to get better at it.
I do not see a specific action to convert an image from RGB to Gray or RGB to CMYK.

Mike

Tracy

I think it is in Global changes and Actions, It's convert to color space
If you make a good one converting to Grey I would be interested.
I don't have any luck converting to grey It's always manually for me for images.
for line work it's ok

DCurry

Metromike - the basic steps to do this with an action are Select All, Select Images, Convert Color.

Tracy, if you are getting bad conversions you may need to tinker with your color management settings first. If you leave CM in Pitstop off, you'll get solid blacks in your images which is not usually desirable. You can even build the CM change into the action and then have it set back to your normal settings.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

yeah when I convert to K in pitstop I have to do a curve which I have an action for, but so annoying, 
it's not one size fits all.

When I have a minute I will try the CM, I like that it can go back to the turned off setting.
I tend to be a bit afraid of color management
I need a bit of hand holding  ;D

Joooeee!  ;D

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on February 15, 2023, 01:30:01 PMyeah when I convert to K in pitstop I have to do a curve which I have an action for, but so annoying,
it's not one size fits all.

When I have a minute I will try the CM, I like that it can go back to the turned off setting.
I tend to be a bit afraid of color management
I need a bit of hand holding  ;D

Joooeee!  ;D
[make action]Create the action to change the CM to the profile you want. Convert to gray. Apply the curve. Change the CM back to what you want to keep it on. [/end action]

One click fix.

The problem being that not all images are the same. They are like snowflakes. Each one is unique.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Here are my settings. Typically I leave it turned off and let Prinergy do my conversions, but if I don't like what it does or need to pre-convert for any reason I'll load these settings. Very easy to do with a preset, and as Joe mentions it can be included in actions to turn it on and then back off.Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.51.54 AM.png

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

Where is that window? I have seen it before but can't find it
Thanks very helpful

Joe

Pitstop Preferences ===> Color Management.

DCurry

BTW, I got these settings from the late, great Matt Beals!

Tracy

Thanks! I was in color management but didn't realize I had to select something to see the window ;D
Ah! Matt

DCurry

You make your color settings how you want them, then from the Color Management button (I have mine in my top toolbar for easy access) you can just click the button and apply the setting you want.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on February 16, 2023, 12:09:40 PMYou make your color settings how you want them, then from the Color Management button (I have mine in my top toolbar for easy access) you can just click the button and apply the setting you want.
That is the way I had mine setup too. Great minds think alike!

:lmao:

Tracy

good to know about putting it in the toolbar

abc

Not to confuse the issue, but in an Action List you can override the color management preferences you have defined to something new, run the action and then put the color management back the way it was.

I use to like turning the color management off that way for conversions to grayscale, then it was more about the density and color range of the original image being converted directly to Grayscale, without an ICC conversion getting in the way.

Tracy

Thanks ABC! good to see you! Miss you every month
Hope all is good for you