Looking for advice...

Started by motormount, September 19, 2013, 01:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Oh yeah.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I remember you saying it was a mass exodus of quitters.

How can a person get hired for a job here but can't get a bank account?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on September 24, 2013, 11:53:44 AMOh yeah.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I remember you saying it was a mass exodus of quitters.

I guess the banks are more strict on documentation than employers.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Quote from: gnubler on September 24, 2013, 11:50:53 AM
Quote from: delooch on September 24, 2013, 11:45:27 AMNO ONE is going to remember who did what 10-15 years ago, so i fudge the dates to cover the gaps.

And seeing as these are all printing jobs, at least 3 of the shops where I worked no longer exist. Let the fudging begin.

Three of my former bosses are dead, let's see you ask them some questions. (No, I had nothing to do with it, honest.)
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on September 24, 2013, 11:58:44 AM
Quote from: gnubler on September 24, 2013, 11:53:44 AMOh yeah.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I remember you saying it was a mass exodus of quitters.

I guess the banks are more strict on documentation than employers.

yeah, maybe now.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: Possum on September 24, 2013, 12:06:22 PMThree of my former bosses are dead,

Lucky you. I have fantasized about that quite often.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

motormount

Quote from: delooch on September 24, 2013, 11:45:27 AMid consider that some employers would prefer to see a stable work history. Not that i have one, but there was a period where i cycled jobs for a few years until i could find one that i could tolerate. Those i leave off.  NO ONE is going to remember who did what 10-15 years ago, so i fudge the dates to cover the gaps.

I'll agree,but if you're searching for work in your hometown,and already changed 3/4 shops,most probably you will run into conversations about old acquaintances and numbers just won't fit!

On the other hand,i don't think many employers will remember what your cv said after they hire you...

DigiCorn

I do what delooch does.  All but one of my previous companies is no longer in business, and it has new owners.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

"Freelance workflow consultant" fills in blanks and short time jobs nicely.
vdp donkey

gnubler

Thank you. I just un-became a job hopper.  :kiss:

gnubler

Still updating my resume...

In looking online on what not to include in a resume I saw these items listed:
Unrelated Hobbies
Salary History

I typically include both of those. I don't see a problem listing my salaries for each job because I think it's a good indicator of one's skill level and can help a potential employer determine if I'm what they're looking for. Am I wrong? I also include unrelated hobbies, with a touch of humor thrown in. Every interview I go to, it's noticed and mentioned, and usually helps to break the ice and start a conversation.

t-pat

"Industry references available upon request"
If you're looking to fill out the page, hobbies are good. Shows that you're a human being and have independent thought. Sometimes they aren't looking for that, and if that's the case you don't want to be there.

My 2nd interview with this new company was with my new direct supervisor. We talked for 90 minutes, 10 of that was work related, the other 80 was about cars, which he's into too.Needless to say, this probably helped develop a connection.

The current job, I listed working on cars, and the guy who hired me (now gone) builds rock crawler buggies out of Land Rovers, and is an amateur machinist as a hobby, so that was a good bonding point.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on September 25, 2013, 10:36:37 AMStill updating my resume...

In looking online on what not to include in a resume I saw these items listed:
Unrelated Hobbies
Salary History

I typically include both of those. I don't see a problem listing my salaries for each job because I think it's a good indicator of one's skill level and can help a potential employer determine if I'm what they're looking for. Am I wrong? I also include unrelated hobbies, with a touch of humor thrown in. Every interview I go to, it's noticed and mentioned, and usually helps to break the ice and start a conversation.

I don't like listing salary history and don't unless they push it and if they push it I at least think they are serious about hiring me.

And unrelated hobbies? :wtf: So you have prepress related hobbies? Spending the weekend watching files rip?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: t-pat on September 25, 2013, 10:48:04 AMShows that you're a human being and have independent thought...We talked for 90 minutes, 10 of that was work related, the other 80 was about cars, which he's into too.

That's what I mean. I put the "hobbies" list at the very end so it can just be ignored if so desired. I have motorcycles in my list of hobbies and it's spawned some friendly chatter at interviews.

gnubler

And more than motorcycles, 'homebrewing' has started conversations. In the printing world, beer brings us all together.  :laugh:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on September 25, 2013, 10:56:42 AMSo you have prepress related hobbies? Spending the weekend watching files rip?

Sometimes I like to spend a Saturday afternoon designing a brochure in Publisher, just for fun.