Automation in Quark 6

Started by Repro Man, October 12, 2007, 04:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repro Man

Hello y'all!

I've got a little marketing project to do for a product we're going to try to sell to our clients.

The product has a space to print a logo. I have a designer creating an advert for the product in Quark 6. The advert includes three pictures of the product with our logo on it. I've asked him to ensure the logo is a linked image, separate from the rest of the design.

Now the fun bit.

I have to take to logos of 150 of our top clients and output a PDF for each one with the relevant logo on the image. So we end up with 150 PDFs which are identical apart from the logo.

Is there any way of automating this so that I don't literally have to relink to the logo, output a PDF, relink to next logo, output PDF, relink to the next logo etc etc... 150 times?

I try to avoid doing anything too complicated in Quark but I think I'm going to have to use it on this one, thanks to our designer.

On the upside, the boss is offering me overtime to do this at home!

Can anyone advise me on the quickest way to do this?

Cheers!

F*@k it!! I'll do it for free then!! Bloody salesmen...

jezza

Head over to the Quark forums and check out the scripting section, there's almost certainly something that will help you there, perhaps in combination with Automator assuming you're using Tiger. Try to avoid having to use 'Quark Tags' unless you enjoy stress induced headaches...

http://www.quark.com/service/forums/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=87e62fef2667cc5a9d94a3d8e4f8f329

Alternatively, if you're getting paid overtime, do it manually and count those pennies! :)
one sick prepress mofo

almaink

Don't use Data merge myself but my guess is thats the best way to go.
Here's one option-
http://www.meadowsps.com/site/details/designmerge_detail.htm
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

jimking

I've never used data merge. However, if it fails maybe you can create 150 pages using the same master page. You'll end up with 150 exact pages, just change out the logo 150 times :( and create one pdf and use Acrobat to create 150 seperate pdfs.

Repro Man

Quote from: jimking on October 12, 2007, 07:29:55 AMI've never used date merge. However, if it fails maybe you can create 150 pages using the same master page. You'll end up with 150 exact pages, just change out the logo 150 times :( and create one pdf and use Acrobat to create 150 seperate pdfs.

Now that sounds the most suitable idea so far. I don't really have time to buy, install and learn any new software. The boss wants these by Monday and the designer hasn't even supplied the files yet!

Guess I'm working on the weekend again...
F*@k it!! I'll do it for free then!! Bloody salesmen...

David

Quote from: Repro Man on October 12, 2007, 08:37:58 AMThe boss wants these by Monday and the designer hasn't even supplied the files yet!

sounds like what I call the "Magic Theory"

turn crap in late on a Friday, and magically it appears on their desk Monday morning...

go figure...

little elves, maybe?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca