Newspaper proofing

Started by whoami, May 17, 2008, 12:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

Hello All,

I was wondering what other people are doing out there as far as newspaper proofing is concerned.  We use a HP 1055 with Serendipity BlackMagic as our rip.  We print on the end rolls of newspaper stock.  So far it's not working out too well.  We see breaks in the highlights whenever we use the HP so we tried the Epson 9880 but it doesn't produce the rich blacks that we want. Any Suggestions?

Joe

We also print on newsprint end rolls from the press. We have two Canon printers. One a W8200 and one iPF 8000. We use an EFI XF Colorproof RIP with the on-bit tiff option and print from the same one-bit tif files that make the plates. Haven't seen the issues you mentioned.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

I used to have exact same setup. HP 1050c with BlackMagic using end rolls and I just couldn't handle it anymore. After LONG research I switched rip only to gmg dotproof in March 2007. I am very happy, everything matches great. I have great dots as BlackMagic had and my color matches. Nobody complains anymore. I made the profiles myself. I linearize my hp once a week, every Monday AM, that means I am doing this now.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

tapdn

End rolls, HP1050c driven by Starproof same one bit tiffs as plate. Profiles set to match press. Acceptable results.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb