Epson 9800 cannot be cleaned

Started by kermit, May 01, 2008, 10:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I have 9800 that no matter what I do it has a clogged nozzles. Even after power cleaning and I even turned it off overnight. Out of warranty. How do you keep it nozzle clean?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

DigitalCrapShoveler

I ran into this once. It is a mess. You basically have to disassemble the print head and it's connecting ink tubes, and manually wash them. Then reconnect everything back up and pray it works.

You can also do an Ink Flush first, to hopefully dillute any ink build-up or air bubbles, but it is costly considering you have to use good ink to flush the bad out.

I would call a professional if I had to do it again... it is a nightmare.
Member #285 - Civilian

kermit

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 01, 2008, 10:48:49 AMI ran into this once. It is a mess. You basically have to disassemble the print head and it's connecting ink tubes, and manually wash them. Then reconnect everything back up and pray it works.

You can also do an Ink Flush first, to hopefully dillute any ink build-up or air bubbles, but it is costly considering you have to use good ink to flush the bad out.

I would call a professional if I had to do it again... it is a nightmare.
Have instructions?
At this moment I am thinking about throwing it out and buying 9880...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, let me go dig them up, so I can explain it step by step...

As far as your comment about the 9880, guess what we did? Not a bad idea.

I'll get back to you.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

I can't find the manuals in their usual hiding place... still looking. Sorry.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

i just had my 9600, pump cap assembly and squeegee changed ( those two parts come together) the squegee wipes printheads during cleaning. i did hear something about those tube things too tho.

jimking

A man in the know told me the other day that it is the fast drying ink that causes this on the 9800 and he gets complaints about it all the time. He says you need to clean the heads or make proofs everyday so that the ink keeps moving.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Go here... it has a lot of good tips. I am still looking for the GD manual, hopefully this will get you through... until I can find it.

http://www.piezography.com/support/printhead_cleaning_tips.htm
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

You don't mention NozzleCheck (as opposed to head clean), have you tried it?
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Stiv

I have a 9800. I had the heads replaced for this issue when it was under warranty. It did not solve the problem.

I run a nozzle check at the beginning of my shift, then I run a nozzle check every two proofs.

I can run a nozzle check and it will come out clean and turn around and run another and it takes three sheets of nozzle checks for a good result.

kermit

Quote from: born2print on May 05, 2008, 12:58:59 PMYou don't mention NozzleCheck (as opposed to head clean), have you tried it?
Sure. I tried everything. After 3 days of constant cleaning, saturating the ink resting pads (or whatever they are called) and turning off every night it is better. Decision one charges $375 just to show up, not counting any parts or labor. I hate 9800. 4800 is so much better. I even calibrated and profiled my hp Z2100 to replace 9800. It came out really good. I am really surprised that I have a match between Fuji FinalProof, Epson 4800 and HP Z2100.

I would still need the service manual if anyone can find it. I have service manual for 10000 if anyone wants it?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Sorry man, I have been buried at work and could not find the manual, but I did find them online.

Linky: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=W2xaPCnO8W0vpzU002FIzU002FCTa3RD20FCQtX3&tc=5#10

I downloaded a couple to make sure they were legit, and they are, so good luck. Let me know how it goes, and/or if you need further assistance.
Member #285 - Civilian

kermit

I have all of them. What I need is "service" manual not user guide but thanks for your effort.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay man, I have looked around and apparently the Service Manual is longer available online, Epson pulled them. What I did find was a Field Service Manual, that would definitely be something to have. However, it is NOT free. $12.99 ain't bad though.

http://www.2manuals.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=epson+9800&x=0&y=0
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking