Oris Color Tuner vs GMG ColorProof o5

Started by Edgar, July 11, 2009, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgar

Hello guys!

I'm thinking to change my old Efi Colorproof to a brand new proofing RIP so it would be very useful for me to know some reviews or experiences working with Oris or GMG proofing RIP's.

Thanks in advance.

G_Town

Never worked with Oris but had a very good expereince with GMG.

beermonster

heard good things about gmg rips - in packaging i think they are widely used due to some excellent colour management tools.

oris, from what i've heard is a little less flexible

as for the EFI - well now - i'm looking at an epson 9900 run by the efi colourproof xl RIP - looks pretty good to me - why are you changing?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Edgar

Thanks G. If you are the girl in the picture, you look beautiful.

Hey beer! Long time no see you!

My decision to change my Colorproof is for having a RIP with the new engine (APPE) and for looking a better matching between proof and press and a set of complementary tools to grow in the same line (without mixing brands of systems).

I heard about the term "color processing" so I think that GMG and Oris have the best color engine, but I prefer to proof my "theory".

Anyway I have to make some tests to those RIP's before making a decision.

How's going in England?

kermit

I am using GMG and I like it a lot. Very user friendly interface in new version. All kind of controls you can dream of. I can't say one bad thing about GMG. You can't get a bad proof using GMG because someone messed up settings and picked wrong calibration file or something. I heard that they are working on controlling GMG system from the iPhone...

Oris got much better with new version but I prefer GMG. EFI is out of the question because it is still missing  selective color correction tool, which GMG and Oris have. This tool will visually fine tune every color you  still may want adjust after automatic color matching (iterations).

Get a demo and try it out. You will not be disappointed.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

kermit

Quote from: Edgar on July 13, 2009, 10:11:33 AMThanks G. If you are the girl in the picture, you look beautiful.

I think it is Cameron Diaz in the pic
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

G_Town

Actually I'm in the back seat getting ready to strike.

Edgar

Thanks Kermit.

Are you measuring some test color patches? What's your Delta E? (min., average, max.)

How neutral are the black grays?

As for G, I don't know when an alias in this place is refered to a man or woman.

G_Town

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

kermit

Quote from: Edgar on July 13, 2009, 10:47:21 AMThanks Kermit.

Are you measuring some test color patches? What's your Delta E? (min., average, max.)

How neutral are the black grays?

As for G, I don't know when an alias in this place is refered to a man or woman.
Of course. I usually check calibration every Monday. I have 4 proofers epson 9880, 7880, 4880 and hp 1050c (for screened newsprint proofing). I am using Isis for profiling and calibrations. My average to match Gracol2006 on epsons is 0.31, 4.01 is max and I have 16 color patches out of 1548 worst than 2 dE. Grays are perfectly neutral.

Edgar

Perfect Kermit.

Where do you work?

As for G, are you an I/O? (input/output). Proof that you are.

Edgar

That chick in the picture seems to be saying "eso compadre!".

Hope that this chick is not a wife of some guy from this forum.

Hey Tapdn, what proofing RIP do you have? How is going with it?

beermonster

england is great edgar thanks - unemployment, bad polotics - all the usual

as far as i know the colorproof latest version has appe and psl3 versions - i saw it last week
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world