Oris Color Tuner vs GMG ColorProof o5

Started by Edgar, July 11, 2009, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

not to be on topic or anything...

We still use Oris here, it was a bit to learn at first, but now it just works.
We check every proof that comes off with our Proof Check (make sure we're within 2-3 Delta E).
The pressroom can match these as well as they can our Approval proofs, so we're happy (well, as happy as you can be now-a-days).

cheers,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

Quote from: Edgar on July 13, 2009, 05:36:15 PMThat chick in the picture seems to be saying "eso compadre!".

Hope that this chick is not a wife of some guy from this forum.

Hey Tapdn, what proofing RIP do you have? How is going with it?

Hiya Edgar... we rip once and 1 bit tiff is sent to either a HP1050c for end-roll stock to match what it will print on or to Epson Pro 10600 for glossy/ coated jobs. Profiles for proofs set to match press. Working well for us.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Edgar

Thank you very much to all that send posts to this topic. I don't say that this topic is closed so you can keep sending posts here.

I have been thankful so I'll prepare BBQ for you.

:bbq:

Prost!

cosnet

Hey,
I think you should get a demo of both products. I would tell you ORIS is better but you would not believe me (I was a customer and now work for them). It is much more flexible, it is web based which means your users never have to leave their chair to check on a proof. Also they can drop files to the printer queues from the web browser. It has email notification to email the success or failure, certification, extensive pre-flight, and real soft-proofing built in. Not to mention load leveling and an extensive array of color management analysis tools and an easy to use color editor. In the past people claimed we were a more complex because our complete workflow tool (Media Factory) was built in but now with Color Tuner web, if you can hit next you can completely setup run and recalibrate a printer. GMG is a spreadsheet program. Ask to make your own paper profiles.. I am told it is not for the faint of heart.. but that is just hearsay coming from me as I have never done.
Regards,
Bruce Brown

ChrisProtopapas

We did a demo of both GMG and ORIS, and it was a close call, but in the end we chose ORIS. They are both very good systems, with many years' worth of development. The deciding factor for me was the paper issue: ORIS prefers to use papers that are keyed to a specific paper target, be it SWOP or GRACoL, whereas GMG prefers paper simulation on a very bright paper. Both these approaches have their advantages and disadvantages, but I feel more comfortable with using the correct paper type than laying down a tone and hoping it stays consistent. (The human eye is extremely sensitive to shifts in white balance, as you may know). That doesn't mean I can't use paper simulation with ORIS, I do when I need to match a non-standard stock, and it works very well. I use Epson 4880 and 7880 printers, and readily achieve an average DE under 1.5 and Gray DE of 0.5. Stability is excellent, although that is mostly a function of the printers. We've also been using ORIS DotProof, and it makes decent dot, not as nice as an Approval, but good enough to satisfy most our clients. This is also mostly a function of the capabilities of the printer, not the RIP. Recently we upgraded to the latest version of ORIS ColorTuner, the "Web" version, and it adds some really nice functionality. There's a web-browser based interface with drag and drop, and the ability to do remote proofing, and with the new built-in spectros on Epson and HP printers, the ability to do remote calibration as well. There's also pretty seamless integration with CGS/ORIS' other products, such as Certified Proof and Certified Monitor. All in all, a very good system. One important factor in making a decision like this is the quality of the support from the manufacturer, and in this we have been very satisfied. CGS/ORIS' field technicians are excellent.

Hope this helps.
Chris Protopapas
FUEL DIGITAL
New York City

Edgar

...and the winner is....!

Guys, thanks for your posts. I'm preparing to go to Chicago's My Print so wait for me in your site (and hope we will drink some beers or margaritas).

BBQ is ready! Who's first?
 :bbq: