APPE engine for proofing RIP's

Started by Edgar, July 11, 2009, 10:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgar

Hey guys! How's going!

With the introduction of the APPE engine, the way that workflow servers process files has evolved. Most of the printing shops has a different brand of proofing servers with a different (or old) engine interpreter than their workflow servers. What's going on in this case? What's your experience working in this way?

Something tell me that the rule #1 is to work with the same brand and model of proofing and workflow server (same interpreter). Rule #2, if not the case, work even with different brand of servers but with the same interpreter engine.

What's your opinion?

DCurry

We just installed Prinergy and are using the APPE workflow for everything. It doesn't really matter if your proofer is on a different system as long as you send to the proofer from the workflow. Prinergy never actually RIPs the files until output to plates or proofs. In the case of proofs, it generates a TIFF that is fed to the proofer. For plates, it generates 1-bit TIFFs that are fed to the platesetter.

So, as long as I tell Prinergy to generate my proofs, all should be well (has been so far.) The danger would occur if I let the proofer interpret the PDF (like by directly feeding the PDF to the proofer.) That doesn't happen, though. All interpretations and rasterizations occur within Prinergy.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!