HP 5000 & Doubleproof

Started by vinnybear, September 15, 2009, 10:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinnybear

the prepress department at our company was all hired into a 'working system' with a hp 5000 and doubleproof - we never checked or changed the settings and were just pretty happy that it just worked very well. now, the drive the doubleproof manager software was on crashed, and we are having to reinstall the software. we cannot seem to get proofs to back up correctly and cannot figure out what the settings are supposed to be. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vincent
vllora@emediagrp.com
864-232-4604

DigitalCrapShoveler

Moderator Dave, I believe has the same set-up. When he gets in, I'm sure he can help. Welcome, by the way.
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

Where are my manners? Talking through PMs and I never welcomed you. Welcome Vinny!!!!  :grin:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

vinnybear

just to give a little more info:
we have a Rampage workflow, but without the RPD option. we basically have Rampage just create and drop tiff files on a hot folder for Doubleproof Manager.

Ear

I am running an HP5500 Doubleproof, same tiff drop as you speak of. Let me see if I can help...

So, the settings on the HP its self are okay, yes?

By not backing up correctly, what exactly is happening? Rotation? Marks off by a little or a lot? Are your tiffs going into hot folders with specific queues?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

vinnybear

i have not even gone in to figure out offset, if needed. i have been testing with a small file to try and save paper and ink. i have been trying to perform a work and turn with this file, with rampage's crops. yes, each folder is it's own queue. currently i have 'Registration Marks' in the job ticket set to 'none', page borders set to '0' . . .

Would it perhaps work for you to send me screen shots of one of your job ticket settings - like for your work and turn job ticket? vllora@emediagrp.com

LoganBlade

I thin it has to do with how it looks at marks and what marks you use. I no longer have system working or anything to reference. But I remember that the marks caused some problems.

"dyslexics have more fnu"

Ear

Tricky, required a phone call for the rip mgr settings. Good luck with it V, let me know how it comes out.

Here are the settings for the HP printer, separate from the rip manager, although I don't think the proofer is the problem.

On the HP interface:

Enter the top menu, (looks like the printer) and enter...

Device Setup:

Accessories = On (requires restart)

TUR = no

Utilities:

Platen Clean = Off

Track Media Length = Off

Full Menu = On

I/O Setup:

I/0 timeout = 30

Page format:

Size = Software
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

vinnybear

tried the settings from over the phone as well as the settings on the hp - only one was different - page size was not set to 'software'

after all that - still no change!

:banghead:

Ear

:undecided: strange... okay, let me poke around and see if I come up with anything else. It's a pretty bare little rip manager, there must be some hidden setting. Have you tried sending an actual imposed job, with proper page size and setbacks? How about re-sending a page of a job that was ran successfully, now that you have tweaked some settings.

Ear

You know, this might not make much sense, but.. have you restarted the doubleproof mgr computer, printer and the flipper? I have had a ghost in the machine or whatever, server slow to accept settings, etc... a full shutdown and reboot helps sometimes. Also, on the flipper attachment, the 3 buttons on the right... top one should be out, middle pushed in and bottom out, green light lit on ready mode. When starting up, turn the flipper on first, then the HP.

David

our HP 5000s just don't back up very well at all.
we've jacked with the settings and never really got it to work. It gets as close as an 1/8", front to back, some days it actually backs up.

oh, and welcome to the circus vinnybear!
cheers!
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Falstaff

Late to the party,

You save a file from Rampage to a Hot Folder?

I don't understand how your set up ever worked without an RPD.

All of my DoubleProof settings are in the RamProof Device Profile.

vinnybear

to any interested (esp. to Earendil - thanks for the efforts btw) and to end this post:

it was actually a very simple setting, for each job ticket that backs up, the vertical offset had to be set to -3.875.
it only took 2 tries to figure out the exact setting, but after that proof back up perfectly as they did before the drive crashed.

(Earendil, I know you had mentioned a similar setting but that applied to every job ticket using that paper setting - we have four job tickets - single sided, work-n-turn, work-n-tumble, sheetwise; the vertical offset would be used on all job tickets except the single sided.)

To make sure all worked, I have done small (6x4) and large (11x17) single page proofs as well as full imposition proofs using all job tickets, and they work perfectly.

Falstaff - Doubleproof Manager allows you to set up job tickets that watch hot folders. You assign a work type (single sided, work-n-turn, work-n-tumble, sheetwise, perfector) for each job ticket in Doubleproof Manager. In Rampage proof profiles (one for each work type) are setup to create RAMproof contone tiff files that will be saved to the various hot folders appropriately (these folders are in a folder that is a mapped drive to the Rampage box). All of the job tickets, except sheetwise, are setup to use a single file input. The sheetwise job ticket is setup to use 2 file input (different front/back).

If anyone desires further explanation do not hesitate to post or email: vllora@emediagrp.com

Falstaff

I luv B4P. You learn new stuff all the time.