Hanging Forever Opening Files

Started by Slappy, August 11, 2020, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Just started a day or 2 ago, ALL my Adobe apps are in the shitter. Opening an existing file can take 5-10 minutes, placing an object about the same.
InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop are all behaving the same way. No network problems that I can see, anybody else having similar issues?

Guess I'll start wiping out Prefs and see if it helps.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

I noticed similar behavior after doing an Creative cloud update.
Ended up rebooting my mac and doing an FSCK, it finally quit and now they work normally.

thank you adobe!
:banana:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I've seen it on a couple of iMacs running Mojave. On one I had to create a new user account and that solved it. On the other I had to completely remove Linotype Font Explorer (the OLD free version) and it solved it on that one. Both solutions would not help on the other iMac. Weird.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

I was wondering if Suitcase was the culprit but hadn't done any updates so probably not. I also disabled the Sync to Typekit (or whatever) InDesign added recently but didn't make a difference.

I'll do David's suggestion when I leave tonight, maybe it'll help.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Slappy on August 11, 2020, 09:38:44 AM
Just started a day or 2 ago, ALL my Adobe apps are in the shitter. Opening an existing file can take 5-10 minutes, placing an object about the same.
InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop are all behaving the same way. No network problems that I can see, anybody else having similar issues?

Guess I'll start wiping out Prefs and see if it helps.

I am, was going to post a new thread then I saw this one. Especially InDesign. I have done the regular things like Onyx etc. but it's still happening. Guess I should do the FSCK maneuver next.

Seemed to start about 2 weeks ago, I have made updates to Indesign recently, more than I would expect.

pspdfppdfxhd

The fsck seemed to help, if it slows down again I will post.

Slappy

Ditto, thanks David! I forget about that, I guess as much crap as we shove through, it's bound to get a little messy under the hood.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Slappy on August 12, 2020, 02:35:15 PM
Ditto, thanks David! I forget about that, I guess as much crap as we shove through, it's bound to get a little messy under the hood.

"Crap we shovel through" well said.

pspdfppdfxhd

Not to mention a lot of font issues with InDesign lately......

Not sure if it's my system, InDesign or Font Explorer.

One job with Futura bold, when I opened the .indd file, the characters came out as gibberish.... you could see the apple symbol in some of it.

Resaved the job as an .idml file, opened it again and all was well. Once saved as an .indd and reopened it was gibberish again.

David

Font Conflicts...

hate 'em

Had one the other day, the customer used system fonts for the layout, then packed the fonts into a "documents fonts" folder.
Everytime I tried to open, Indesign would try to load the fonts and it turned out like you say, gibberish.
I could never get the fonts to load when working off the server.
I had to copy theID  file to my desktop, break the link to the doc fonts folder, use my system fonts and it worked like a champ.

PITA
:drunk3:
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, well, the display was incorrect but the exported pdf was fine. WTF?

Prepress is like a box of chocolates I suppose..........

Time to get out of here, going camping on the shores of Lake Huron this weekend. Sounds great but the water levels are so high we may have trouble finding a beach!

Slappy

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on August 14, 2020, 08:41:36 AM
Not to mention a lot of font issues with InDesign lately......

Not sure if it's my system, InDesign or Font Explorer.

One job with Futura bold, when I opened the .indd file, the characters came out as gibberish.... you could see the apple symbol in some of it.

Resaved the job as an .idml file, opened it again and all was well. Once saved as an .indd and reopened it was gibberish again.
I still get some jobs replacing the intended font with Myriad Pro, and it's random.
I did 2 BC file exports yesterday, one right after the other. PDF #1 - fine. PDF#2 - Myriad Pro.

:shoots_self:

pspdfppdfxhd

myriad pro is the new comic sans...