VERY general CTP question

Started by prepress is sexy, February 26, 2008, 10:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepress is sexy

I work for a BTTBP company (behind the times book printing). I just heard we are finally going to transition to CTP, which is a big change that gives me a lot of anxiety, especially since I know the company managers aren't going to do any research beforehand (as if they could even comprehend).

My question is, what were the biggest obstacles others on this forum encountered during their transition from FTP to CTP? What do you most wish you knew ahead of time that you were never told? (the sales people paint a picture that is all too rosy).

I apologize, but I don't know any details about what systems/equipment we will be getting.

Thanks for the replies and I hope this topic isn't too painfully basic for everyone.

Joe

If possible go see a demo of the machine you are thinking of purchasing. Hopefully one that is in actual production. Don't believe what the sales people tell you. If they tell you it will do 50 plates an hour count on it only being able to do 25. Also make sure you understand the maintenance and upkeep of the processor and chemistry. It's almost always a surprise at how much work in can be if you don't get it right. And make sure it is installed in a CLEAN and climate controlled environment.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

My biggest issue was with old legacy film. If you are currently imaging film to use for plate making in a frame then you are good.

If you are step and repeating jobs and all you have is film then you will have a bit of a challenge getting electronic files from your customers or having the film copy dot scanned so you can use them with your CTP system.

Good luck

oh and ditto what Joe said.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Joe hit it right on the head... listen to him.

G... first off, I like your avatar! Second... also good advice.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 26, 2008, 11:05:15 AMJoe hit it right on the head... listen to him.

G... first off, I like your avatar!

Thought you might :wink:

prepress is sexy

Thanks for the fast replies!

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1212.msg14667#msg14667 date=1204044214make sure it is installed in a CLEAN and climate controlled environment.

I guess were screwed -- we work in a f'n barn! But, just out of curiosity, what sort of climate is necessary?

gnubler

I've worked in two shops during their transition to CTP.

We imaged a lot of plates every day (I can't recall the amount) and yes, the maintenance factor was sort of a drag. Sometimes I'd have to change the chemistry after only one week of use, and there's really no warning (at least not with the CTP imager we had) - when the chemistry goes, it's gone, and everything stops for 90 minutes until the machine is cleaned, refilled, and calibrated. I've had pressmen yell at me because of this (yawn).

But it sure beats stripping and manually burning plates.

BTTBP...lol. What makes it even funnier is the last shop I worked in was so "BTT" and the company initials are/were "BP".
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: prepress is sexy on February 26, 2008, 11:19:45 AMThanks for the fast replies!

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1212.msg14667#msg14667 date=1204044214make sure it is installed in a CLEAN and climate controlled environment.

I guess were screwed -- we work in a f'n barn! But, just out of curiosity, what sort of climate is necessary?

Pristine. Almost clean room quality. No dust can float, it can get in the drum and or lens and cause problems. Humidity and temp are just as important. Your sales moron should have all that info.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Yea humidity and temp is important especially if you have a machine that removes slip sheets.

We used to keep the humidity around 40% and the heat at around 70.

Although we've had times where the heat/air/humidity unit took a dump and we were still banging out plates in High heat and low humidity.

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 26, 2008, 11:28:47 AM
Quote from: prepress is sexy on February 26, 2008, 11:19:45 AMThanks for the fast replies!

Pristine. Almost clean room quality. No dust can float, it can get in the drum and or lens and cause problems. Humidity and temp are just as important. Your sales moron should have all that info.

Ditto...you (and the company you work for) will regret it if you don't.

As far as the climate...our CTP will shut down and not run if it gets too hot in the room. (86 degrees if I remember correctly.)

Edit: That temp is the max. It's not recommended to run it at that temp. They recommend in the 68 - 72 degree range.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Oh, and if you are considering an Auto-loader for your CTP, make sure it works. 2 of the last 3 I have worked on with auto-loaders did not work worth a shit. Constantly jamming and making life difficult. In my opinion... get a manual feeder.
Member #285 - Civilian

hagar_uk

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 26, 2008, 11:28:47 AM

Quote from: Joe  on February 26, 2008, 10:43:34 AMmake sure it is installed in a CLEAN and climate controlled environment.

Can not agree enough on this, As some one who sometimes get called out to customer sites to clean optics, keeping a system / room clean is advisable. Was at one site recently, where whole CTP system was covered in about 2mm of press dust, from presses outside the door which gets into everything. Also heard of people smoking when putting plates in which is also not advisable.  It amazes me sometimes that, people pay X amount for a CTP system, but then begrudge keeping it in a clean stable room.

hagar_uk

Quote from: prepress is sexy on February 26, 2008, 10:18:35 AMI work for a BTTBP company (behind the times book printing). I just heard we are finally going to transition to CTP, which is a big change that gives me a lot of anxiety, especially since I know the company managers aren't going to do any research beforehand (as if they could even comprehend).

My question is, what were the biggest obstacles others on this forum encountered during their transition from FTP to CTP? What do you most wish you knew ahead of time that you were never told? (the sales people paint a picture that is all too rosy).

I apologize, but I don't know any details about what systems/equipment we will be getting.

Thanks for the replies and I hope this topic isn't too painfully basic for everyone.

As others have said. get a demo, take some of your own jobs, and watch them output to plate.  One thing to bear in mind is Proofing, make sure you have some kind of Proofing system, Pref ROOM proofing to avoid potential expensive mistakes

DigitalCrapShoveler

DUHHHH, yes, proofing system a MUST!!! How did we forget that?
Member #285 - Civilian

Gutnbg

Re: the pristine, clean room perfection blah blah:

Ask for it, but don't be surprised when you don't get it. It's important, but seldom actually happens in the real world. (Shhhh. Don't tell anybody I said this.)

All computer equipment has fans, takes in dirt and spews it out. Just another dirty little secret.

Another subject: The bosses need patience, to see that operators are properly trained to do what the equipment is meant to do, and do it well. Prepress people learning new technology is infinitely preferable to computer people trying to learn prepress.
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one