Replacing old Postscript Type 1 fonts

Started by Syphon, April 23, 2010, 07:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Hey guys, I need help.
I have been given the job of finding Opentype or Truetype replacements for nearly two dozen old Postscript Type 1 fonts.
We plan to upgrade to Leopard (or Snow Leopard) and the fonts are from different foundries.
Is there one place that one can purchase the various fonts or do we have to go to each foundry and purchase the fonts directly?

And is anyone having problems with Postscript Type 1 fonts on Leopard or Snow Leopard?
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

DigitalCrapShoveler

There are more than just this site that does this... Google "Online Font Convertor."

http://onlinefontconverter.com/

I have personally used this one. It works fine, AND it will strip copyrights going from TT to OT. Didn't hear that from me.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

If it's for internal-use conversion, TransType Pro would be the go. $179, You only need 1 seat to do all your conversion.
It's the only true commercial font converter that does almost anything. We used to use it a lot, but that customer went away...as they so often do.
Even doing 2 dozen may only take you an hour, if that. Of course I assume it only re-jigs the file type, placing it in the OTF 'wrapper' etc. If they want all the fancy-schmancy ligatures 'n stuff that most newer OTFs have, they will have to buy. But maybe they could buy the more-used ones.    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

Quote from: Syphon on April 23, 2010, 07:15:13 PMAnd is anyone having problems with Postscript Type 1 fonts on Leopard or Snow Leopard?
I'm running 10.6.3 here on my Intel Mac and using old ass type one fonts as my start up set (with FEX) and no problems what-so-ever.
We also have a very large font collection on the server that is probably older than me, and they still work very nicely.

Why do you need to replace the Type 1 Fonts? They don't have an expiration date (as far as I know, anyway).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Syphon

Quote from: david on April 26, 2010, 07:25:18 AM
Quote from: Syphon on April 23, 2010, 07:15:13 PMAnd is anyone having problems with Postscript Type 1 fonts on Leopard or Snow Leopard?
I'm running 10.6.3 here on my Intel Mac and using old ass type one fonts as my start up set (with FEX) and no problems what-so-ever.
We also have a very large font collection on the server that is probably older than me, and they still work very nicely.

Why do you need to replace the Type 1 Fonts? They don't have an expiration date (as far as I know, anyway).

I don't know. The boss came to me and asked what are the most used PS1 fonts we use and thinks they need replaced/upgraded. I think he might have read somewhere that Leopard or Snow Leopard has problems with PS1 fonts. We are going to have to upgrade two or three Macs to run Adobe CS5. I run 10.6.3 on my Mac at home and we bought a new iMac this year and its running 10.6.2, but we haven't run into any problems with PS1 fonts. Maybe he just wants to spend his retirement (at less what's left of it). I guess I should ask why.
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

I'm not sure that TransType will resolve the Snow Leopard issues, if there are any, but I don't see why not; even if you used it as needed. $179 out of his retirement money...if that's a big bite, he's in trouble.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DigiCorn

Quote from: Syphon on April 23, 2010, 07:15:13 PMHey guys, I need help.
I have been given the job of finding Opentype or Truetype replacements for nearly two dozen old Postscript Type 1 fonts.
We plan to upgrade to Leopard (or Snow Leopard) and the fonts are from different foundries.
Is there one place that one can purchase the various fonts or do we have to go to each foundry and purchase the fonts directly?

And is anyone having problems with Postscript Type 1 fonts on Leopard or Snow Leopard?
I have a collection of fonts that's been following me around for something like 12-15 years. The majority made the transition from OS9 to OSX with no issue; I think I have a few here and there that Extensis didn't like, but I just ran  Font Doctor and cleaned them up.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Captain_Type

We got Type Tool instead for $99...more of a font creation tool though. But it will do OpenType as well.

Works okay, not sure how to link the styles yet though.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

gnubler

Doing some font housekeeping yesterday and found a few font files from 1969. Does that mean they don't really exist and are a glitch in the Matrix?  :toaster:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Syphon

Well I guess this is all for nothing. The boss somehow misunderstood when we ran into fonts that would not embed into pdfs because they were restricted fonts. He took it that meant that had something to do with the Mac OS and not the fact that the fonts were restricted. I told him we just simple outline them in InDesign and that's it. It comes out that it was one of those communication issues between prepress and management. We have a lot of miscommunication with management. I explained this whole restricted font thing to him a few times and I guess it just didn't sink in.
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

Par for the course, that stuff.   :rolleyes:
But are you intending to do a lot of outlining? File size will bump up quite a bit, if there's a lot of type. You may also expect some font 'ugliness' creeping in.
I'm a ball of optimism today, huh?   :laugh:

Syphon

Oh yea frailer, you are a ball of optimism today, but considering the week I've been having, your optimism can't bring me down anymore than I am right now. What can I say, I'am having a bad week so far.

As for outlining text in InDesign, I try to avoid it. If its a headline, I'll outline in ID, but I found that illustrator does a far better job outlining text. So I sometimes set the text in Illustrator and then outline it, then place in ID.
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

OK, you're riding in Outline Territory, alright.  I'll back off.   :laugh:

Captain_Type

Quote from: gnubler on April 27, 2010, 12:41:07 PMDoing some font housekeeping yesterday and found a few font files from 1969. Does that mean they don't really exist and are a glitch in the Matrix?  :toaster:
It depends on how groovy they were.  :old:
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter