WD My Cloud Mirror - Drive fail

Started by David, June 15, 2020, 09:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Hey, I got a WD My Cloud Mirror 12tb (2 6tb drives) that it appears that both drives have failed (solid red light on the drive LEDs).
Any of you guys know what would be the best way to replace these and get the data transferred to the new drives or is it too late and all my stuff is history?

sad panda here...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Can you still access the data at all? Were they setup as single 6 TB RAID or two separate 6 TB drives? I'd guess the former since it has mirror in the name. I have been able to take the drive(s) out and recover data via Linux software (Live CD/DVD Linux install disk utilities) when my old Netgear NAS unit died.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

can't access shit. It's all the jobs on Archive. The NAS went "red" right after the lockdown.
I'll see if I can find the Linux software. Is this doable from a Mac do you recall?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I don't remember the name of the Linux disk utility I used at the moment. How is the WD My Cloud Mirror formatted? Windows? Mac? Something WD proprietary? I think you can do it with a Mac by booting the Linux Live CD or DVD or USB stick from your Mac.

Joe

David

thanks Joe, I'll give it a read when I'm not too busy...

first day back at work after over 3 months

:shoots_self:
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

ok, after several days of dinking around, I finally got ubuntu installed on my MacBook Pro (dual boot).
I have a USB drive kit which I can take a harddrive out of the enclosure and plug it in like a usb drive.
The drives (two 6tb WD Red drives in the WD My Cloud NAS) chatter pretty loudly on spin up, but they both show "no media" when I use the disk utility in Ubuntu.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a way to get the data to show up in Ubuntu?

Am I screwed?

:death:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Well it doesn't sound good if they show no media and they "chatter pretty loudly". I don't remember what exactly what I had to use but it was a specific Linux Disk Utility that could read Netgear XRAID formatted disk and not just the standard Linux disk utility. And I knew my disks were good because it was the NAS unit that threw a wobbly. And much to my surprise I was able to recover everything.

The link I posted previously says for option #2:

QuoteMethod #2. How to Recover Lost/Deleted Files from WD My Cloud Hard Drive

This way is far easier than Method #1 because here we can make full use of the professional WD My Cloud recovery software – iBeesoft Data Recovery. It's a professional tool which is specially designed for the user to scan for all kinds of the hard drive to recover lost data. No matter data lost from your WD My Cloud due to broken, formatting, virus attack, deletion or other occasions, you can always try it. Here are some of its main features:

Simple steps for how to recover data from WD My Cloud
Step 1: Download and Install the Software
Click the download button to get the installation package of the WD My Cloud data recovery software. It is available for both Windows and Mac operating system. Choose the right one according to your computer operating system.

Step 2. Connect WD My Cloud Hard Drive with Computer
Remove the hard drive from your WD My Cloud case and use a hard drive connector to connect it with your computer, making sure your computer can recognize it.

Step 3. Select File Types to Scan
Launch the data recovery for WD My Clou program and you can see all supported files types are listed. From there, only keep the wanted ones checked. As for other unwanted file types, you can uncheck them and click "Start".

Step 3. Locate WD My Cloud Drive
From the next window, the WD My Cloud data recovery shows all the partitions of the internal hard drive and connected hard drives. Choose WD My Cloud as the location and click the "Scan" button to recover data from WD My Cloud hard drive.

Step 4. Preview and Recover Data from WD My Cloud
Once the scan is complete, the WD My Cloud recovery software will display all recoverable data. The left side shows the directory, the center shows the deleted or lost files, and the right side displays the thumbnails. You can select files to preview. When finding the target files, choose them and click "Recover" to save them on your computer.

Deep Scan feature is on the result window. If you are not content with the result, click it to scan the WD My Cloud hard drive again.

I would download the software it mentions: iBeesoft Data Recovery and give it a shot.

David

The bitch is, the Mac OS doesn't recognize the WD drives, only the Linux OS sees the drives when I plug them in.
Don't have a Win box to try it with.
Gotta find a data recovery tool for Ubuntu.

:shoots_self:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Just fyi for next time, My WD is recognized by Mac, maybe it's newer than yours?
also I backup to an exterior drive everyday

I hope you get your data David!!!!!!!
ugh!!!!!