CS5... Should we upgrade from CS3 yet?

Started by prepressDog, April 28, 2010, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Our policy is that we won't update until we get a regular amount of CS5 files coming in. In the meantime, if a few trickle in, we'll call the customers and have them .inx them to us, and simply state that we have the CS5 on order, and we bought some other new equipment but we're "doing testing with our new setup" and it's "not online" for production work yet.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

sent in my "post-announce upgrade" thingie, waiting on the reply from the Adobe gods...

crossing my fingers, should be getting my free CS5 Design Premium Suite soon.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

lookie what I got today!!!

Quote***Notes to Customer***
04.05.201015:33:41
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Adobe.
Regarding your concern we have reviewed the documents you have
submitted
and would like to inform you that you are eligible for the free upgrade
to CS5. In order to process this we would need you to verify the
shipping address so we can go ahead and place the order. We hope to
hear
from you soon.

rock on my bad self!

woo hoo!
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Choice David!

We're buying 1 seat of CS5. I only pray that it's good enough to get the taste of CS4 out of my mouth.
I am a big fan of CS3 btw.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

ah, a little alcohol mouthwash and you're good to go!

on the rocks or straight up, either way!

:laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on April 30, 2010, 11:04:18 AMsent in my "post-announce upgrade" thingie, waiting on the reply from the Adobe gods...

crossing my fingers, should be getting my free CS5 Design Premium Suite soon.
The Adobe site says, "This upgrade policy applies only to single-user retail and educational versions." which makes it sound like anyone with CS4 and a single-user license is eligible for a free upgrade. I can't imagine they would do this free upgrade for everyone who purchased it in this fashion (which would apply to us). We bought ours back in October of last year. What were your qualifications?

Regardless, I sent in a request for the free upgrade anyway.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I think David stated earlier that those that bought CS4 after April 12th, 2010 were eligible for the FREE upgrade.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

It only applies if you purchase CS4 after the CS5 announcement and before the actual software release.
The start date was April 12 and close date was May 1. I purchased my CS4 on April 22. Sent in my Post Announce Upgrade info on April 29, got my Free CS5 confirmation today.

I too, purchased several copies of CS4 last year. It was only because management decided they wanted to play with Dreamweaver and Flash (they heard rumors about CS5), that I was asked to get another copy of CS4 Design Premium (which we had a single copy, and to do what they wanted, I needed another copy).
So, I checked around, and got lucky, and the rest is history.
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

oh oh oh

got me some shiny new icons in my dock!

my CS5 package came today, it is installed (seemed to load faster than the CS4 did).
The "content aware" thingie in PS is a little overblown, imo, after actually trying it on my own file in real time.
Other than that, I'm still playing.
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: david on May 07, 2010, 11:12:45 AMoh oh oh

got me some shiny new shot glasses in my desk!

my tequila came today, I drank it.
The "hallucinogenic" worm is a little overblown, imo, after actually eating one.
Other than that, I'm still staggering.

Fixed.

David

I like your story wayyyy better... hic
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

oh, I actually have eaten the worm...

and no rude comments, it was a real worm, lovingly soaked in mescal, not some fantasy DCS character.

:kiss:
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

It was a good story. I might read it again.

Syphon

Quote from: david on May 07, 2010, 11:12:45 AMoh oh oh

got me some shiny new icons in my dock!

my CS5 package came today, it is installed (seemed to load faster than the CS4 did).
The "content aware" thingie in PS is a little overblown, imo, after actually trying it on my own file in real time.
Other than that, I'm still playing.

Hey David, great to hear you upgraded. I'll be upgrading sometime later this month.
Here is something you might want to play with. I guess you can Transform and Shear pages in InDesign.
Here is where I read about it: http://indesignsecrets.com/transforming-pages-in-cs5.php
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

mwc

Quote from: Syphon on May 07, 2010, 05:28:27 PM...
Here is something you might want to play with. I guess you can Transform and Shear pages in InDesign.
Here is where I read about it: http://indesignsecrets.com/transforming-pages-in-cs5.php

Great! another utterly useless function for a 'designer' to mess up a document with!!!
I have a hard time understanding the use of manipulating a page in that way??