CS5... Should we upgrade from CS3 yet?

Started by prepressDog, April 28, 2010, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepressDog

We got CS3. Only here and there do we get CS4 files. Sure CS5 will be on there way too...
I know we need to upgrade at somepoint. Don't see any major reason to do it just yet.

If anyone has any reason (besides photoshops new clone magic whatever you call it tool, which I LOVE)
Please let me know...

And does anyone know for SURE... do you need Intel mac to run CS5? Hard 2 believe??

Joe

Now is a great time to upgrade as you can get CS4 immediately and then get CS5 at no additional cost when it starts shipping. Ends April 29th I think.

CS5 does require Intel only CPU's. PPC is dead to CS5.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

WharfRat

Joe

Joe

Disregard that April 29th date. That is for something else.

Also I've read (in one of those links at the Adobe forums) that if you buy CS4 and get the upgrade to CS5 for free that you have to sign some kind of waiver that you will destroy your copy of CS4. Don't know if that is true though. I'm not upgrading anyway.

David

What I've heard, that statement is for the educational copy only, Joe.
If you get the retail version, you can keep both.

This is what I got:
Quotehttp://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15304.html
Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a post-announce upgrade, you must meet the following requirements:

This upgrade policy applies only to single-user retail and educational versions. Tryout, Beta, Not For Retail (NFR), and bundled OEM versions are not eligible for upgrade.
Products purchased through auction sites (ie. Ebay), or second hand purchases (ie. TOL) are not eligible for upgrade.
This offer is available only through Adobe directly and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers.
Your upgrade must be for the same platform, language, and edition as your previous version.
You must provide Adobe Customer Service with proof of purchase. Adobe accepts as proof of purchase either an Adobe direct order number, or a sales receipt or shipping invoice from a reseller. If you purchased from a reseller, be prepared to provide an electronic copy of your proof of purchase with the following information:
Reseller name and address
Product and version purchased
Purchase date
Purchase price
Adobe will notify qualified volume licensing customers of their eligibility for a post-announce upgrade.
Your current serial number must be registered. We recommend that you register within your product so you can receive the complimentary benefits of Product Registration (for details, see Adobe.com at www.adobe.com/support/registration.html).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Stiv

:offtopic: I used to work for a guy that bought only educational versions. I had no idea when I called for support and gave them my serial number and they told me it was an educational version and that I wasn't supposed to be using it for business. :ohno:

Farabomb

Every once and while I'm told to go "find" software for here but I always refuse. It's your business FFS you have to pay for your tools!
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

In answer to the second part of the question, CS5 is Intel only. So be prepared to dump a boatload of cash if you have an older Mac.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

even if you have an Intel, you need to shell out more for additional Ram, for sure.
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

So what's the "limited time"? We just upgraded to CS4 in January. Free upgrade or not?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 29, 2010, 12:36:26 PMSo what's the "limited time"? We just upgraded to CS4 in January. Free upgrade or not?

30 days so...no.

David

the time period for the free upgrade was April 12 to May something
you have to purchase CS4 after April 12 and before the ship date of CS5
Livin' la Vida Loca

Grimace

Went to the Adobe site

CS5 Shipping Now!